PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
So..me and my household got Covid earlier this month. Luckily, me and the wifey only experienced mild flue like symptoms. I did end up losing my sense of smell in the process. For the last few days, I have started regaining some sense of smell back and feel back to normal with no flu like symptoms. My coffee started to smell like coffee. My shampoo started to smell like shampoo.

I decided to try my first pipe since i was diagnosed and damnit...I guess I'm going to need sit on the sidelines a bit longer.

Packed my bent-bulldog full of some delicious English pipe tobacco. I lit her up and it smelled like musty marshmallow. No latakia flavor...no oriental flavor..no bright Virgina. Just old sneaker and stale marshmallow. Very weird/interesting how certain smells are affected.

Anyone else dealing with loss of smell due to Covid-19? Any lingering effects you guys may have experienced?

Good thing this is a temporary ailment (for most)! I look forward to getting back at it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The virus is unpredictable. It seems to affect a wide array of systems in the body, different ones in different people, for different durations and with different intensities, with different symptoms in different ages. In a sense, it's not just one disease. Maybe a little like malaria. I think biomedical people will be studying it for years, developing treatments and boosters to stem the spread. India is especially affected right now, billions of people in high density living situations. The bug is no one's friend.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Had my last bout with it in December. Just now getting my palate back. Funny thing is, it didn’t mess too badly with the taste of food, but it wrecked my ability to taste tobacco. Everything tasted like Turkish, even blends that don’t have any. Weird stuff. I’m just now tapping into the awesome blends my secret Santa sent me, because I wanted to wait until I had my taste back.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So..me and my household got Covid earlier this month. Luckily, me and the wifey only experienced mild flue like symptoms. I did end up losing my sense of smell in the process. For the last few days, I have started regaining some sense of smell back and feel back to normal with no flu like symptoms. My coffee started to smell like coffee. My shampoo started to smell like shampoo.

I decided to try my first pipe since i was diagnosed and damnit...I guess I'm going to need sit on the sidelines a bit longer.

Packed my bent-bulldog full of some delicious English pipe tobacco. I lit her up and it smelled like musty marshmallow. No latakia flavor...no oriental flavor..no bright Virgina. Just old sneaker and stale marshmallow. Very weird/interesting how certain smells are affected.

Anyone else dealing with loss of smell due to Covid-19? Any lingering effects you guys may have experienced?

Good thing this is a temporary ailment (for most)! I look forward to getting back at it!
yeah it mostly came back pretty quickly but it did take a while for it to get fully back to normal. After the first week food tasted like food and pipe tobacco tasted like pipe tobacco. But some of the details where still fuzzy around the edges coming back slow and steady. I'll put it this way I didn't notice until things suddenly tasted more then they had the previous week and when it started pretty much everything I ate tasted like white rice (I lost a few pounds over those two weeks).

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My wife got a nasty flu bug around Christmas of 2019. The usual flu symptoms came with it, but it lasted four days and was gone. Left no lingering effects, and I myself didn't catch it (we both take Chlorine Dioxide Solution, which kills pretty much everything). When I smoke my pipe, she usually tries one puff, and smoker her little Capone cigarillos with me. If her sense of smell or taste was affected at that time, she would have told me, but she said nothing of the sort. I also know two other people who caught something similar around this time period. Their bouts lasted a little longer (about a week to a week and a half, tops), but no difference otherwise. When I asked them specifically about this, neither one said there was a sensory disruption that they could discern. Seems like everyone is affected differently, some immensely, some barely at all, and then there's me, seemingly immune to everything except TAD.

larry david.jpg
Who the hell knows?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
My wife got a nasty flu bug around Christmas of 2019. The usual flu symptoms came with it, but it lasted four days and was gone. Left no lingering effects, and I myself didn't catch it (we both take Chlorine Dioxide Solution, which kills pretty much everything). When I smoke my pipe, she usually tries one puff, and smoker her little Capone cigarillos with me. If her sense of smell or taste was affected at that time, she would have told me, but she said nothing of the sort. I also know two other people who caught something similar around this time period. Their bouts lasted a little longer (about a week to a week and a half, tops), but no difference otherwise. When I asked them specifically about this, neither one said there was a sensory disruption that they could discern. Seems like everyone is affected differently, some immensely, some barely at all, and then there's me, seemingly immune to everything except TAD.

View attachment 77517
Who the hell knows?
all that tells me by next week you'll get the worst flu you've ever heard of. With hallucinations and sweat that is the consistency of elmers glue. Because you piss off the sniffles Gods when you say you're immune. They hear that and react with a vengeance

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
all that tells me by next week you'll get the worst flu you've ever heard of. With hallucinations and sweat that is the consistency of elmers glue. Because you piss off the sniffles Gods when you say you're immune. They hear that and react with a vengeance
he just made it worse by laughing.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
My household had it back in March and my wife still hasn't recovered her smell/taste. Oddly enough I never lost either; however, I've had the absolute worst insomnia ever since contracting it. I suppose the good thing is I can taste/smell my pipes and cigars while puffing away while the rest of my family is sound asleep.

• Sad
Reactions: Casual and JOHN72

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
A friend lost his sense of smell during the forest fires of 2019. Zero recovery, except for a split second after he sneezes. I think I might guess that it has something to do with swelling.

• Sad
Reactions: Casual and JOHN72
Just make sure everyone around you does the same...LOL!!;)
Robert Downey Jr Smoking GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.