PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Guys what are your most terrible loses such as pipes dropped over board, tins of tobacco falling open into puddles etc/
I have been reading on the forum today of buffing wheel disasters which I am sure i will soon be experiencing to go in my back catalogue of woodworking disasters.
owen
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Ok, here is one that still causes me to chuckle. A few months ago I bought a 5lb sack of Peter Stokkebye Proper English; a nice inexpensive "working man's" English blend. My plan was to transfer the tobacco into large mason jars (I think they are 64oz; really big ones). While I was putting the tobacco in the jars I was reading this Forum for cellaring tips and tricks. One person recommended putting the jars in hot water for a while and then capping them; as the jars/tobacco cool off, it will create a vacuum inside the jar. This sounded like a good idea, so I stuck a few of these big jars in the sink with their caps off, and I turned the tap on full hot and began to fill the sink, while I continued to transfer the remaining tobacco to jars. Soon I heard clanking of glass coming from the sink and I saw that as the water level rose, it caused my jars to float ... and tip over ... and fill with hot water. I had about two pounds of tobacco in those jars and they were ruined; completely soaked. So now I do not heat my mason jars. Lesson learned. At least it was not a costly lesson; maybe a $50 loss.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Lesson learned: If you're a lefty, don't clench your pipe on the left side of your mouth while shooting an M4 assault rifle. Or else, hot brass WILL bounce off the pipe and into your shirt. OUCH! :x

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
The day my son got in trouble for drugs at school I was smoking a Dunhill. I dropped it (resulting in a scrape) and smoked it so hard I got burn out :cry: :oops:

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Had an absolutely gorgeous Ben Wade freehand sitter that my friends gave me for high school graduation in 1984. Stayed with me with every move I made, including to our current home. Searched for it when I started smoking pipes last year; it's gone - I've torn up the house looking for it. I think I probably pitched it in a crap-purging fit. Breaks my heart.....

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Maybe 30 years ago I carved a figural dragon pipe- probably spent 30 hours on it. Some low-life stole it from my display case at my shop in Opryland...

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
When I'm half way through a bowl and the MF'er decides it's not going to stay lit for more then ten seconds no matter how I puff, tamp, or relight, then it starts tasting ashy and I have to settle for smoking half a bowl. That's a half a bowl I lost.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Split a Randy Wiley freehand in two when I smacked it off a shop cabinet door and it hit the concrete. It was as if I was watching it unfold in slow motion.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I have been lucky enough to avoid any of these issues, however one is bound to happen sometime. I almost had the same issue with the water tipping over the jars, but I found that if you use a cooking pot and pack the jars in so that they are all touching it can be prevented.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As I was learning this hobby and the ways of the briar, I killed any number of pipes through overuse, undercleaning, smoking too hot, etc. But the dumbest happened earlier this year with a Pre-Trans Barling Canadian. I absentmindedly slipped it into a pants pocket while ordering at a burger joint and neglected to remove it before sitting down. I shattered the shank at the end of the mortise. I could have it mended, but it's one of the few really bad pipes that I have bought over the years. I kept on giving it a try with a different blend in hopes that one would click with it, it killed everything. So perhaps it deserved to die.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Outside of my fabled 'exploding meerschaum' I have had a couple of memorable pipe moments a few of which I have commented on here over time. I had a neighbor when I lived in the country in the UK who used to shoot my clay pipe with a BB gun which was very annoying. I have had a few 'thirds' or rejects explode and fire filler all over the place whilst smoking in a bar. I have dropped tobacco pouches never to be seen again, but touch would I have been rather lucky over the years.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Lesson learned: If you're a lefty, don't clench your pipe on the left side of your mouth while shooting an M4 assault rifle. Or else, hot brass WILL bounce off the pipe and into your shirt. OUCH! [:x]
I must remember that!!

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
Lost the stem from my Brigham pipe. Not a high dollar pipe but the first "good" pipe I bought. Had it with me at work one day, took it apart to clean it and never seen the stem again.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
In my younger days I was dating a girl for a short time. It started out well enough but soon the crazy started to show. Within a few weeks she was even trying to change the way I showered, insisting I had to douse myself in cold water after my hot shower. When I sat her down in a neutral setting to explain that it just wasn't going to work, she launched into a rant about how each man is a thorn in a bush that was ruining her. It made me uncomfortable enough that I never went back to her place to retrieve my Chacom and a handful of CD's. I now regret that hesitancy because it was my best Chacom. It was a french take on the classic bull/Rhodesian shape and I've yet to see another like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.