PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I am just finishing my last bowl of Hobbits Weed, that was gifted to me from a generous member. I am curious if there are any other Lord of the Rings and Hobbit themed tobacco that is just as good or better than hobbits weed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As a matter of fact....
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lord-of-the-rings-pipe-tobacco

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Well, Tolkien smoked Capstan Blue, so I'd say that is as Hobbity as you can get.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for the link chasingembers
If you are looking for more Hobbit's Weed, 4noggins has a match blend.
http://www.4noggins.com/4noggins-tewsbury-hobbits-weed-match.aspx

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I find it funny that all the Middle Earth themed tobaccos seem to be heavily topped, whereas hobbits would probably care much more about the natural flavors of their carefully cultivated leaf. Much like Tolkien Himself, who mostly smoked VA flakes. Having said that, I have heard that he also smoked the occasional tin of Erinmore.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Wouldn't McClellands's Frog Morton blends also fit the bill? Frogmorton was a village located in the Eastfarthing region of The Shire.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
It's just a marketing gimmick, there is nothing specifically LOTR-y about those blends aside of the name. You might want to try Capstan Blue though, it's a re-release of the blend Tolkien used to smoke.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Thanks for all the help guys. I will have to try 4noggins Hobbits Weed match blend and Just for Him middle earth series. I never heard of Capstan Blue, but if Tolkien liked it I will definitely have to try it.
conlejm- It definitely fits the bill, I really like McClellands's Frog Morton Cellar.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Check out the Country Squire Tobacconist in Jackson, MS. They have several proprietary blends named for the Lord of the Rings series.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Some Admin type person should consider making a sticky with all of the Lord of the Rings tobacco threads.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Pappymac- making a sticky with all of the Lord of the Rings tobacco threads is an awesome idea. 8)

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
It is easy enough to make your own microblend and give it a LOTR name. For instance, buy some Trout Stream and mix it 80%TS with 10% Latakia and 10% Turkish and call it Smaugs Breath. Just saying.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Well, Tolkien smoked Capstan Blue, so I'd say that is as Hobbity as you can get.
Tolkien and C.S. Lewis also both enjoyed Three Nuns which at the time was a Vaper, and since has become a VaBur. I would have liked to try the one that they used to smoke.

I agree, with Styler though, why so heavily topped? I bought the sampler pack of the just4him and they are good, but I very very rarely smoke aromatics. The inner-nerd is really coming out now.. :puffy:

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I agree, with Styler though, why so heavily topped?
Styler never said they were heavily topped, he said: seems to be... which implies that this is what he thinks...but not from experience...
As I have learned from members here, most of the pipe smoking world smokes Aromatics... so it shouldn't be a surprise.
The just4him blends are not so heavily topped that you can't taste the tobacco. I've been buying 2 of them in bulk for years... A purist or non-aromatics smoker might not like them, but they are by no means full of low grade, heavily flavored Cavendish... Their descriptions reveal that they don't use much flavorings.
Just4him blends some great stuff... Dennis? Forget his name...
It wasn't too many years ago that this forum was talking about these tobaccos and I got the recommendation to try them.
I keep shortcut and ruins in my wider rotation year round. I find them to be barely flavored at all.
I'm not much of an aromatic smoker.
I think that shortcut and ruins have a nice dark, earthy sweetness.
Gimmicky or not, J4H does a great job with this series and they have been around for quite a while.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I think that shortcut and ruins have a nice dark, earthy sweetness.
Lasttango, I'll have to check if I have any shortcut to mushrooms or ruins of isengard left and give them another shot.. I did like them, but I have been on a no aro's kick for quite awhile even if lightly topped. And don't get me wrong, I am easily gotten with LOTR gimmicks.. :lol:

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Well, I got home and dug through my jars and realized I have an oz of shortcut to mushrooms out of my cobbit of course, and it is very subtle. Quite enjoyable, with just a hint of sweetness. It definitely has a little bit of frog Morton with a really light cavendish fflavor to me.. Anyway it is nice, you are right Lasttango cheers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.