Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Hoping for a bit of help/advice.

I recently acquired the pipe picture below. Quite pleased with it for the age etc but the stem is loose, as in dangerously may fall apart at any time loose.

it’s a threaded system and just doesn’t seem to grab. Not sure if there’s a bit of thread missing or what. I’ve put close ups to help diagnosis (apologies for my awful looking fingers ?)

I was wondering if anyone had any tips/ideas of how to go about repairing it?
AD3D90E5-67EF-47D8-9D17-DBE539A6E3F6.jpeg873AEBDE-F31C-41BA-93F7-2E59683ABC2F.jpeg
8C77AC34-642E-455A-A1B7-EC01A4406631.jpeg23DA95F4-817B-4F24-A320-AE901F33F371.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You have two solutions that work great on my ancient pipes.
1. Plumbing tape (Teflon) carefully applied beefs up the threads. It’s also temperature safe.

2. A section of toothpick as a shim also helps secure the stem.

Hope that helps
Never would have thought of plumber's tape. Sure, why not? Brilliant!
The shim would apply pressure unevenly and with amber that can lead to problems.

The other possibility is that this is a vulcanite tenon that's become stuck in the mortise. By applying a little bit of alcohol, a few drops at a time, over a period of 30 minutes to an hour, The hardened crud holding the tenon in place will soften up enough to allow you to gently remove it. Then you glue the tenon back onto it's stem.

By 1909 bone tenon joinery was well on its way out and friction tenons were common. Typically, a vulcanite tenon would be attached to an amber stem as vulcanite is tougher and more flexible than amber, which is unsuitable material for a tenon.

The pictures look to me like a stuck tenon.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I may be wrong but are you sure it is a screw tenon and not a push tenon that screws into the stem and has unscrewed out.
It seems unusual for the screw section to be on the bowl not the mouthpiece.
I have had meerschaum pipes with push fit tenons that fix into the mouthpiece by screwing in.

edit Jesse replied whilst I was posting

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
The shim would apply pressure unevenly and with amber that can lead to problems.

The other possibility is that this is a vulcanite tenon that's become stuck in the mortise. By applying a little bit of alcohol, a few drops at a time, over a period of 30 minutes to an hour, The hardened crud holding the tenon in place will soften up enough to allow you to gently remove it. Then you glue the tenon back onto it's stem.

By 1909 bone tenon joinery was well on its way out and friction tenons were common. Typically, a vulcanite tenon would be attached to an amber stem as vulcanite is tougher and more flexible than amber, which is unsuitable material for a tenon.

I may be wrong but are you sure it is a screw tenon and not a push tenon that screws into the stem and has unscrewed out.
It seems unusual for the screw section to be on the bowl not the mouthpiece.
I have had meerschaum pipes with push fit tenons that fix into the mouthpiece by screwing in.

edit Jesse replied whilst I was posting
Now you mention it, the part with the screw attached looks like it’s jammed in a position that the screw will never go into the stem properly.

I’ll give your solutions a try and see if I can get it unstuck. Obviously being careful not to break anything.

Will report back. Thanks guys.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

I agree. It shouldn’t unscrew there but stay in the stem and come out of the stummel.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Now you mention it, the part with the screw attached looks like it’s jammed in a position that the screw will never go into the stem properly.

I’ll give your solutions a try and see if I can get it unstuck. Obviously being careful not to break anything.

Will report back. Thanks guys.
Trapped tenons are not uncommon with old pipes. In those cases where the drop of glue, originally used to help keep the tenon attached to the stem, has failed, the stem will unscrew from the trapped tenon.
I learned the alcohol trick from RonnieB and it works. Sometimes it takes a bit longer, but eventually the crud does soften up enough to carefully rotate out the tenon. Since the threading is already forming a loose fit between the tenon and the stem, it may be better to use a pliers, with a felt buffer, to gently rotate out the tenon.

Good luck!

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
Maybe it’s not original. Possibly start with the plumbers Teflon tape. It will work it’s way into the threads and help tighten it up. It only sticks to itself and you can stretch it thin as needed.
Brilliant. Thanks. It’s more I think the thread has been worn/over tightened. Fits well at the shank just wobbly in the stem. I’ll try the plumbers tape. Seems like a good plan.
I have had luck using acrylic fingernail polish in thin coats to build up the threads on a bone tenon.
Thanks for this. Having options is always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.