PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
if temperature,humidity changes around your pipes in more extreme levels stems got looser or tighter...Just found some of my pipes I left at my camper in freezing weather -their stems got loose..if your pipe stem is so tight you can't lose it up just put the pipe in freezer and try it ...
And smoke them to tighten them if environmental conditions caused the loosening.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I think I may first try the Q-tip w/distilled water applied to the mortise, just to see if anything happens. It really doesn't need much to achieve a snug fit, probably like a sixteenth of a millimeter difference, or something ridiculously small like that. Failing that, my wife has clear, fast drying top-coat nail polish on hand. I smoke rather infrequently, so this should last a while if I end up having to do it.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
In the winter when it is much drier out, sometimes briar will shrink ever so slightly. I’ve taken a Q-tip with just a little bit of water on it and put it in the Mortise a few times. The added moisture may resolve the loose fit.
Just tried two passes of this. It worked! Thanks so much! ?

I'll keep my eye on the tightness, and hope it stays the way it is. Right now, it's perfect.