PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I recently found and bought an unsmoked but no-name pipe at an antique store. The tenon, which is metal, is a tad too small for the mortise, so the stummel twists if you wiggle the pipe (but doesn't fully fall off). I tried rubbing a bit of beeswax on the tenon, but kinda just smeared around and didn't do much when I put the pipe together. I believe I've read somewhere that the solution to this is simply to smoke the pipe a few times, being intentional about not removing the stem during this process. In theory the briar expands when it's warmed, only to then constrict upon cooling. Is this true? Will it constrict back to its current size, or will it actually constrict further? Would love to hear thoughts and experiences on this. The stem accepts a 6mm filter, if that makes any difference. If another solution is in order, that would be great to hear too. Thanks!
il_fullxfull.1084608662_dfyr.jpg

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
If that doesn't work out, I've had great success with beeswax.
But, of course, some forum memeber, with far more experience than myself, will come along and give some real insight. Good luck!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Little coat of clear naile polish on the tenon should do the trick. I usually save the beeswax for too tight tenons

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Some super glue on a Q-tip to swab the inside of the mortise might help.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I use it for loose tenons, tight tenons -- heck, sometimes I just carve an ashtray out of a big ol' chuck and call it a night.
LMAO, Jeffrey. Me, too.
Michael, why not smoke it hard for a day or two and see if the resulting moisture doesn't cause an appropriate amount of swelling. If that fails, Adam's nail polish suggestion will certainly work. (If you put on too much it can always be sanded off.)
Do it soon though. You outdoor smokers are going to freeze next week as this Alaska cold air mass bombs the U.S. They're predicting record lows across the country by 12/10.
Let us know what works for you, bub.
Fnord

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Most of the grabow pipes I've had, have those tenons on them. I've had luck taking a closed pair of scissors and slightly pressing it inside there to widen the tines. I have also completely broken one side of one off before, so be gentle of course.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
To spread those aluminum Grabow-type tenons, I use a pocketknife. Insert the blade, edge-first, straight into the slot. The slight taper of the blade will spread them slightly, but not enough to distort or break them. If you are planning to smoke the pipe anyway, I would see if just smoking it rehydrates the wood enough for a good fit. I never make a modification unless it's a last resort.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I would take a pair of needle nose pliers slide it inside until the two pieces of the tenon touch the needle nose and then push it just a tad more to spread them apart. Or slide the needle nose pliers inside and gently open the pliers giving just enough pressure to spread them slightly.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Is there any odor, melting, or other weirdness when the briar warms up?
If your tenon is getting hot enough to change the nail polish, you are smoking way too hot!
Also, since you apply just some to the outside of the tenon, it should never be in the smoke stream. Since it hardens, the exposure to moisture does not dissolve it (if it did then your wife's nail polish would be gone the first shower). I find that it does need to be reapplied over time as after removing and inserting the stem multiple times does wear the coating down.
In this case, since the tenon is metal, I would use a tapered dowel to expand the tenon flanges, although I think the nail polish fix has a much better chance of not making an oopsie.

Nov 21, 2016
Salt Lake City
Just to let you know the only way to really fix this will be nail polish. I have a Medico with the same metal tenon and have tried it all. Widening the tines does create more back pressure but is not effective for giving the stem pressure where it needs it in back. Beeswax is ineffective on metal tenons.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd first try wetting the tenon*, inserting, smoking a bowl, and repeat three or four times over a few days. If no joy, then more aggressive measures.
* to dampen the wood it comes into contact with. Or apply directly with a Q-tip.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Clickklick, thank you for the valuable insight! Nail polish will be my primary attempt.
Anthonyrosenthal, no, that's just the light in the picture. :)
Cossackjack, I wish! The stem does have a nearly identical marking on it, but the bowl says "Webco."

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
+2 on the nail polish. I've used that trick before, just make sure to let it completely dry before you try putting the pipe back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.