PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Gawith Hoggarth & Co.- Kendal Dark Vanilla.

Thank you, this did come up but it's quite hard to be sure I am looking at the right thing as it is sometimes listed as "Kendal" instead of "Gawith Hoggarth. Also it seems to be shag cut which I'm not a fan of. I'll see to get it anyway as I like the idea of it being a strong tobacco.

On the way to work I stopped at a kiosk which carries pipe tobacco and picked up a pouch of MacBaren Classic (that's the name in the EU). The pouch note is certainly strong, very sweet, somewhat fruity, and sort of bright vanilla. I'll try later at home and post my thoughts. My initial thought though is to use it to cut with some straight VaBur that I have at hand as it smell extremely sweet.

Reactions: canadianpuffer

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Ok, so I had a big bowl of it. It tastes exactly like it smells from the pouch. The first half of the bowl was very good and promising, quick strong flavouring...Tobacco reviews claims this is medium flavouring, I wonder what strong is?

The issue is that the second half of the bowl became less and less pleasant, started tasting chemical and cloying to me. I can still taste it for more than an hour after smoking that bowl.

As I imagined from the pouch note, I want to turn the flavouring down by at least 70%, I will mix it with my bulk Wolfway VaBur mix and I think it'll be where I want it to.

The plus side is that when I first tasted it I couldn't taste anything, while now with a couple of years of English blends under my belt it tasted exactly like it smelled. I think I'll have a go at Bob's chocolate flake now ;)

P.S. Of course my wife likes the smell! (she hates anything I smoke, especially Latakia...)

Reactions: chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.