Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Morning/evening,

I'm looking to get the forum's recommendations for a vanilla-flavoured tobacco. The tobacco has to be the main player, and the vanilla the supporting act. Id like something with a notch higher sweetness than what we get from straight Virginia, but not cloying, and absolutely no floral stuff.

Obviously there is so much variety, and this will be my first time returning to anything flavoured since starting pipe smoking so I'm wary of it being a let down so looking forward to reading your views!

Last edited by a moderator:

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
You might like Mac Baren VA No.1. It has a notable vanilla top note going on and all the sweetness you could want from a straight VA.

Reactions: briarbuck and karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream is what I think sounds like something you’d like.

Thank you, that's the one that keeps popping up when I search, and I can even buy it in Greece which is certainly a bonus.

MacBaren Vanilla Flake should be right in there. GL Pease The Virginia Cream is another option, but the MacB V Flake is far superior in my opinion.

I'd have a preference for flake too (over the ready rubbed) but that'd require ordering to my office in the UK. The plus side is that if I do that I'd be able to throw in some more money and add some SG to the order. Or is that a negative?!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thank you, that's the one that keeps popping up when I search, and I can even buy it in Greece which is certainly a bonus.

I'd have a preference for flake too (over the ready rubbed) but that'd require ordering to my office in the UK. The plus side is that if I do that I'd be able to throw in some more money and add some SG to the order. Or is that a negative?!
That is always a positive. Don’t let anyone let you think otherwise! :ROFLMAO:

If you are in europe consider Dan Tobacco St. Bernard Flake as well. While not Vanilla topped, it is a very sweet Va/Per that is quite good. You could always toss a pinch of any decent VA cavendish or vanilla aromatic into any of your favorite Va/Vapers as well. It works quite well.

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
@alaskanpiper thank you, I just checked out @jiminks review and spotted this line "In many ways, it's a bolder, sweeter, spicier version of Dunhill Navy Rolls with some different flavor hits. " As I love DLNRs but always looking for something a bit heavier I will have to try that...

Reactions: JimInks
Just please don’t buy that Pease abomination.
I wouldn't call Virginia Cream a traditional aromatic. Greg mixes tobaccos to get the overall flavors and uses a slight liquor topping to give it that bubblescent-like flavor. I don't get a vanilla flavor from it, more like a slight cream soda-ish flavor, but most of that comes from the tobaccos used.
The liquor topping makes it an official aromatic, but I wouldn't even consider it a vanilla, nor an aromatic... and, definitely never smoke it in your aromatic pipes. It is best enjoyed as a non-aromatic. And, some still may not like it. YMMV. It is definitely a divisive blend, love it or absolutely hate it.

Reactions: lightmybriar

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I wouldn't call Virginia Cream a traditional aromatic. Greg mixes tobaccos to get the overall flavors and uses a slight liquor topping to give it that bubblescent-like flavor. I don't get a vanilla flavor from it, more like a slight cream soda-ish flavor, but most of that comes from the tobaccos used.
The liquor topping makes it an official aromatic, but I wouldn't even consider it a vanilla, nor an aromatic... and, definitely never smoke it in your aromatic pipes. It is best enjoyed as a non-aromatic. And, some still may not like it. YMMV. It is definitely a divisive blend, love it or absolutely hate it.
I didn't get any type of flavor, tobacco or otherwise from it?
The leaf looked bad quality to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not big on aromatics, but I have a pouch of C'est La Vie from PC that I enjoy from time to time that is quite tobacco forward, which is what I like.

Reactions: BROBS

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
My favorite vanilla blend is Erik Stokkebye's 4th Generation 1957: Erik Michael's blend. The vanilla is of a different quality than most others I have tried, and I especially love it because it reminds me my mom's homemade chocolate chip cookies, although it's definitely not overly topped, IMO.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.