PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Have you all had more luck with one tin orders, as opposed to multiple tins? Getting nabbed at customs is starting to hurt. Thanks lads

vindil

Lurker
Apr 22, 2020
Two orders with baccy so far.

One tin went by unmolested. 4 ounces bulk went by unmolested. Both sent by supersaver.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
You pays your money, you takes your chances.... I've been dinged for one tin and had 6 come through with no problems. I've also had ridiculously high charges applied and requested a re evaluation. Canada Customs just returned it to SPC.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Probably best to keep this discussion to PM’s. Lots of eyes on this site
I have to disagree. I think Canada Customs doesn't have the manpower or the interest to spend time on a pipe smoking forum trying to focus on finding Canadians ordering tobacco from abroad. I'm merely guessing but I'm speculating that the total pipe smoking community in Canada is about 0.00001 percent. I'm joking about the percent number I used. I'm just trying to make a point. A fellow Canadian told me he never buys tobacco from online retailer XYZ because XYZ marks their tobacco 'hobby supplies' which in fact, it is, because he didn't want to be arrested/accused of smuggling and thrown in jail. I think that logic is flawed. I have been caught by Canada Customs and my largest bill for being caught was $364.00 dollars.
I think my order was for about 26oz. Paying that 364 hurt; but it was still cheaper than purchasing said same tobacco on Canada.
That's all they care about. You aren't going to get charged or thrown in jail because you are purchasing tobacco abroad. You will pay the taxes/import fees. If you want to know, taxes vary per province. Alberta is highest, BC is next and surprisingly Ontario is one of the lowest. Gotta love Alberta, the alleged province of milk and honey which of course is all urban myth.
So I don't think Canada Customs has eyes sneaking around this forum (or any other smoking forum) trying to play tobacco spy master. Second, this is a perfectly legitimate thread and doesn't need to be stuck underground or spoken in whispered hushes via PM.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
When charge then it’s almost always still cheaper than the B&M and we get free health care.

One day I broke my arm and got a cast and paid duty on my tobacco. I was never happier to pay on that day :D

Reactions: Winnipeger

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
You pays your money, you takes your chances.... I've been dinged for one tin and had 6 come through with no problems. I've also had ridiculously high charges applied and requested a re evaluation. Canada Customs just returned it to SPC.
At least yours got returned , down here in Oz our custom office's like to keep said seizers for themselves

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but a search brought me here and a few of the intended audience for my question are likely already following.
So I just had a package from 4N stopped by Canada customs for a few weeks and then rejected and returned to sender. I would have been wiling to pay duties owing on this order but was never even given that option.
My questions are:
- has this happened to anyone else; and
- did you find that future orders were treated the same way?
Feel free to DM rather than reply directly here.
Thanks.