PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Generally, trying to move hot air with more fans is not productive, and usually just cools the hot air down. Creating a passive convection current is much more effective. When you remove air from a room (like with a fan) you create negative pressure, causing air to flow back in (if air leaves, it needs to be replaced). Placing a box fan in the doorway on the floor sucking the cold air out will create negative pressure and cause warm air to flow into the bedroom. This is my experience with heating with coal.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How do you heat? Is it a wood/coal stove and your trying to get the warm air more evenly distributed?
Just a normal gas furnace.

There were large ducts in my crawlspace going nowhere that I have removed and sealed. I've resealed duct joints with metal tape as well. I think I've done all I can with regards to leaks in the ducts.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't think fans like that are the answer, they're more for exhaust. While that might improve the circulation you might not like your heading and cooling bill. Do you have cold air returns in those rooms or anywhere nearby?

Why not find a reputable, local HVAC person to come out and evaluate your system?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have an older house with several issues, but I was thinking this might be an easy upgrade.
Mike,
Our house is over 100 years old and we have three bedrooms upstairs on the 2nd floor. Our furnace (forced air) is in the basement. Our bedrooms upstairs are never as comfortable as the main floor of the house, winter or summer. We bought our house in 1987 and replaced the furnace and central air in 2007. For 30+ years we just learned to live with it...an extra blanket in the winter and the ceiling fan above the bed helps in the summer.

Here's an option. My neighbor, also with 2nd floor bedrooms, wrapped all of his duct work in the basement with insulated duct wrap similar to this.
1613310536204.png
He swears that it helped. I'm considering wrapping mine now.

olvs

Lurker
Mar 3, 2021
Faced with similar issue, I think it's better to consult with pro technician to pick up the right unit

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it's a cold guest room or two, a space heater for occasional use might be sufficient.

Reactions: BROBS

olvs

Lurker
Mar 3, 2021
Btw I recently bought new Goodman air conditioner and don't have any regrets. I found many cool models on thefurnaceoutlet . I asked for help pro technician who helped me to choose and install new conditioner at affordable price and save my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.