PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new pipe in the $100-$150 range. Do you guys have any suggestions? I am interested in Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell. Any suggestions of pipe makers that you guys love that are in my price range? And what are the pros and cons of the three brands I listed? Thanks

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I understand you are interested in Peterson, Savinelli and Stanwell but I would suggest you look at Luciano as well. Pretty comparable in price and higher quality imo.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
Hi ddavid, are you looking for estate pipes or new pipes? As for the 3 pipe brands you have listed I have a Savinelli and numerous Stanwells. I personally would not buy another Savinelli and continue to buy Stanwells. I just bought a Peterson about an hour ago so I cant speak of there quality yet. I wish I could tell you why I'm not satisfied with the Savinelli, it just does't smoke well in my opinion. :puffy:

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
@dhizzy: Thanks I just looked at them and they look good now another option on the table!

@deathandtaxes: I am looking for a new pipe, I have a good amount of estates and I want to get something new. And thanks for the honest answer it is hard to tell from just pictures online on what smokes the best. Sweet which Peterson did you order? And I love your avatar, I just watched that movie two days ago!

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I picked up a Peterson Model 314 off of fleabay, another estate pipe. I enjoy the estates and about 90% of my collection are estates. Great value for money. The Savinelli was a new purchase, my first new pipe actually. Thanks for the compliment on my avatar.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Myself I like Savinelli, Stanwell and Luciano IMHO Peterson has been lacking quality these days. There are some good estates to be found also, pipepedia is great to look up older makers. Do as you're doing just ask! :puffy:

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Savinelli will be the best bang for your buck out of those choices. I have multiple pipes from each of those manufacturers (5+ each) and as far as smoking quality and consistency goes the Savinelli pipes are the ones I'd get if choosing. I second the suggestion for an estate - you can get a very good estate pipe in that price range.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Any of the three plus Luciano would an excellent choice. I'm very fond of Stanwells, but have my share of the others as well. Stick to the upper end of your price point, and you won't be disappointed. And if you're not in too great a hurry, wait till the new Icarus and Neptune pipes hit the market by the end of the year.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@ravkesef has a very good point. I have heard in 'pipe world' the new Icarus and Neptune pipes are meant to be remarkable. I have not seen them but a tobacconist I know in NJ says he has seen a preview and thought they were remarkable.

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
Thanks for all the help guys! In terms of estates what brands would my price range be in?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks for all the help guys! In terms of estates what brands would my price range be in?
Kaywoodie

Comoy

Talbert Ligne Bretagne

Better quality Sav, Pete, and Stanwell models

Radice

Ser Jacopo

Bari

Fillenwarth

Chacom

Butz-Choquin

Nording

Wiley

Parker

Charatan

Barling - Post family, though some family era pipes go within this range

Ben Wade

GBD

BBB

Loewe

Sasieni - lower grades

Tilshead

Willmer

Bjarne

Wilke

Blatter

Ehrlich

Nachwalter

DeJarnett

Tinsky

Johs

Winslow

Larsen

Karl Erik

Curtz

Ascorti

Brebbia

Mastro de Paja

Pipa Croci
Just to mention a few that come to mind.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I can vouch for Neptune pipes. They may be a little hard to find right now, but worth the look.
I'm also very interested in Wayne Teipen's Heritage line. http://teipenpipes.com/store/#!/~/category/id=8984584&offset=0&sort=addedTimeDesc
Like the Neptune brand, Heritage pipes are factory-turned bowls but finished by hand. And unlike Neptune, Heritage pipes all have a hand-cut stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That price range and the brands you mention open the door to a world of pipes, as the earlier posts

illustrate. Just go shopping online and a huge world is yours. Just to toss in one suggestion, if you

like Savenelli pipes but don't like to fiddle with filters, adaptors, or smoke a filtered pipe with the filter

left out, I highly recommend the Oscar Lucite line of Savenellis. They fall in your price range and come

in many shapes, and are good quality pipes. I have an Oscar Lucite prince that is a fine smoker. I have

several other Savenellis and they are all good pipes. Also, their unfinished pipes are non-filter and a

very good deal; they are available at Cup O Joes and other places. Although they are made by Savenelli,

their new low price line of Rossi pipes look fine, but one Forums member reported a problem with a

finish that bubbled on him after one or two smokes, so avoid that line for now.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would listen to Bigvan and his suggestion of a Wayne Tepian Heritage pipe. Those are great prices and you will be getting a really well made and a properly engineered pipe. Having a pipe with a hand cut stem is a joy to smoke and clench. If I were not on a pipe buying moratorium, I would grab one of those Heritage's or even that black beauty he has listed in his regular line. Plus you are giving your business to a fellow member here.

Status
Not open for further replies.