PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
At the moment i am employed in getting employment. And its getting me down. So sick and tired of not getting a job! i swear i must have applied for at least ten jobs over the last week. and only two have responded in the negative the other lot i had to ring and get the bad news.

Oh well poor mes over and done with now.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Keep at it! There is always a job for someone willing to work hard at it and do it right!!!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
i know how it is. i live in america, specifically the state of michigan which is one of if not the state in the worst economical condition. to make matters worse i live in a tiny town where the closest town is 30 miles away. nowheres hiring here and i was lucky to get a job at mcdonalds when they were hiring. my dads got a a stack of job applications hes filled out in the past year, none of which have lead to a job

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
thanks for the positive reinforcement :)

it was just a wee moment of poor me poor me poor me a drink :D

And we all know why i want work.

the prestige of being employed? no.

the ladies looking at you ?? No

The abilty to buy tobacco and pipes and racks and cleaners and ..................YES! :nana:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Feel your pain seanz.

I've had many "poor me" moments the past 1 1/2 months since I was laid off as well.

I'm REALLY thankful to the the wags on this and other forums that convinced me to start a cellar!!
To paraphrase a ditty from my youth, days with baccy and no money sure beat those of money and no baccy (-;

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I feel your pain also. I was out of work for almost a year before I got rehired at the job I had before of course! It's a good thing I had a lot of tobacco cellared or I am not sure I would have made it. You'll find something.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Hang in there, I retired all most a year ago and still waiting for My checks to come. Things got all screwed up, so I know how hard it can get.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Seanz I am in the same boat as you. I was laid off twice in one year. A new record for me! It is hard to keep the blues away some days. I drove my self nuts for a while with the internet job boards, recruiters (who have done nothing for me) cold calling. Then I just settled in and look every morning for a few hours, then go on with my day. Lucky that my wife has a good job but it is a little hard on my ego some times not bringing in any thing but unemployment insurance.
I worked for a company that had 2,000 employees and they now have 25! Then next job was a small company that was hired a few folks thinking things would pick up. Well they did not and we all got canned. I'm thinking when the UI runs out I will just get a retail job for the holidays? I never thought I would go back to retail but what can you do? I have been a stay at home dad for over a year. I remind myself that this time is special I get to spend with my son.
Jobs will come around, try and stay positive and do some thing each day that makes you smile.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
try and stay positive and do some thing each day that makes you smile

Excellent approach/outlook there.

Easier said then done but worth the daily effort to do it.

I find it so very hard to keep looking for jobs, easier to space the day away rather than spend time applying to minimum wage jobs (seems to be all there is around here)or those that you know your not qualified for.

I'm going to add that to what I've been repeating to myself over and over,

"A body at rest tends to stay at rest, one in motion stays in motion".

Those of us out of work at the moment simply need to stay active and positive for sure.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Yes Olderthandirt, it is easier said than done. I'm with you. I apply to every thing I can find. Yet I am either over qualified or under qualified it seems? I like to check into this site from time to time for positive thinking hints.
http://tinybuddha.com/category/quotes/patience/
I just went and picked up some free bricks for my back yard. Then stopped by a local pond and watched the blue gils, turtles, carp while I smoked a bowl of Mac Baren Plum cake. Just a little time to enjoy the light threw the oak branches and reflections on the water.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Sean... With the world economy being as it is and has been for awhile now you are far from alone my friend. I had been with the same company for 16 years when one day about two months before Christmas I was told that my services would no longer be needed. Due to the economy and a non-compete agreement as well as being told I was over qualified for most of the jobs in my area I spent 22 months unemployed. I went from running a very large piece of business to setting at home climbing the walls. I had a couple jobs that I must have had at least five interviews for over a four month period just to be told they had decided to go in a different direction. Then all of a sudden two offers came in over a three day period. So hang in there and I agree with most of what those posting before me have already stated. When not applying or interviewing I would suggest you find something to keep yourself busy such as volunteering or even working in the yard or around your house doing projects that you have been putting off. A good friend of mine worked as a volunteer at an animal shelter until he found something. I honestly think staying active helps you come across more confident and less desperate when interviewing.

Keep your head up brother.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I definitly agree with keeping busy. i do some volunteer work for charities around. you know collecting and stuff. also thinking of going and seeing if the loval butcher wants a hand. experience or work for meat . just to keep my hand in.

and with summer coming theres always my garden to keep me busy .

Status
Not open for further replies.