Looking for Smooth or Lattice Meerschaum That Won't Break the Bank?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
Hi Everyone! I never owned a Meerschaum pipe, and was looking for a "beginner" one. I'm not too crazy about staring at a carving every time I smoke (just personal preference). Anyone know of a brand in the $50 or so range? I'm looking online and see them mostly at about $100. I'm looking to get 2 and use them throughout the day. I heard you can use a Meerschaum without resting it a full day (but you should clean them inbetween each smoke). I usually have about 4 bowls a day so 2 should take care of what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Reactions: ofafeather

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I heard you can use a Meerschaum without resting it a full day (but you should clean them inbetween each smoke). I usually have about 4 bowls a day so 2 should take care of what I'm looking for. Thanks!
I smoke all of my pipe multiple times per day for weeks before switching pipes but I do clean them after each smoke.

Anyone know of a brand in the $50 or so range?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
one would cover that. And if you look there are certainly plenty of options in your search range. I too generally prefer the more traditional shapes over the more carved ones excepting the ones that blow my mind a little bit. I have two meers and am really happy with both. One is just a churchwarden that was less then 50 the other cost the same as my rent and is a beautiful piece of art I am proud to own and be able to hold and look at when ever I feel like it. Best thing though is knowing you'll find what you're looking for easily and get to have more enjoyment with it then most things that cost the same.

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
I'd recommend saving your money and buying an Altinay. There is a distinct difference between a $50 generic Meer and a $150 Altinay. Just my opinion.
I see. What is the difference, in taste? or how long it will last? will the cheaper ones crack? I thought also of a Rattray's meerchuam lined, would that be good? It's about $90

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Hoosier is right, save up some money and buy one decent smooth meer in a classic shape. If you like it (and you may find the answer to be no) you can buy more. Buying a decent block meerschaum pipe is better than spending less and getting less. Meerschaum market has fairly low prices. I would stay away from meerschaum lined pipes. In my view it is, and always was, a gimmick. I am reminded of a line from the wonderful film The Quiet Man when the character played by Barry Fitzgerald says: "when i drink whiskey i drink whiskey and when i drink water i drink water."

Reactions: lightmybriar

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Paykoc uses block meerschaum and smokes just as well as any AKB or IMP that I've owned. They are a bit small for me but are solid smoking pipes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I have a cultured meer from Straumbach
Turns out that's just their terminology for pressed meerschaum.

"Robert Strambach became the leader of the company and he expanded the business. He produced meerschaum pipes and Calabash pipes, and he developed a system to produce the meerschaum mass (this is a convolut of small sepiolith pieces, grinded down, and pressed together with a bonding agent)."

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I see. What is the difference, in taste? or how long it will last? will the cheaper ones crack? I thought also of a Rattray's meerchuam lined, would that be good? It's about $90
Significant difference in the stem work and drills which are the most important thing in a pipe to me. You might get pressed meerschaum vs block. Maybe screw in tenon vs push pull. I have both, I’d never ever buy the cheap one again.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Fleebay may have new or used deals... I’ve done OK on antique thrift store meers, depends where u live.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Not always the case. AKB's draw is like trying to suck a bowling ball through a garden hose and they're over $200.?‍♂️
True, a lot of meers are drilled smaller than I prefer. The ones I have where the carver is a known name tend to be better in that respect.

That being said the odds of a new $50 meer being decent is lower than with a more expensive pipe. It could happen but the couple I’ve seen in that price range were heavy, poorly fit and poorly carved. It’d be best to see the pipe in person if possible to avoid a disappointing purchase.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Just wanted to throw in another recommendation for an Altinay -you can find them for under $150 dollars pretty easily. I have one Altinay and a Rattray's that I believe was carved by Altinay -my meer journey started about a month ago and I have been really putting them to the test -I think one meer could easily handle 4 bowls a day with care. Fortunately, I haven't bought a cheap/bad meer but I think it's best to get one really solid one over two 'possibly decent' ones -good luck!

Reactions: renfield