PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Try Ramazan at Meerschaum Depot. Not only is he a personal friend of mine but I lend him antique meerschaums to copy for his range of pipes. He is based in NJ but all his pipes are made in Turkey and he does some lovely 'cutty' styles. If you can't find him just PM me and I'll send you his web address and email.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is it just me, or do online retailers not give much information about the Meerschaum pipes they sell? They don't seem to specify what kind of Meerschaum, whether the stems are screw-in or push bit, or sourcing. I guess our sponsors or a trusted B&M pipe shop would be trustworthy sources, but it is still somewhat difficult to know what you are buying. My only Meer, an estate pipe, was given to me by the late great fish'n'banjo. I really savor it for giving maximum definition and clarity to all blends, including complex blends with five or more tobaccos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have too many pipes, but if I had the yin for a second Meer, I think I would throw myself at the mercy (with a little critical thinking, window shopping and asking probing questions) of my local independent pipe shop or one of Forums sponsor online retailers like SP or PC. I think my local pipe shop has small Meers starting about $150, and small Meers online, new from a reliable source, start about $70. If I wanted more pipe, I'd ratchet up the price range. Details on the pipes seem a little obscured, and I think this originates with the sources more than the retailers. People do seem satisfied with their Meers, as I am with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.