PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
So I'm mostly an aromatic smoker. As a patron of The Country Squire here in Jackson, MS, I have access to their hand-blended high quality aromatics. I do want to, however, broaden my horizons with some non-aromatics.
Now, I find myself to not be a massive lover of Perique (I had Kajun Kake from C&D that I bought a while back). I really don't want to smoke something that's going to be a nuisance to those around me, so I'm looking for blends that still have a friendly aroma (Not necessarily sweet aromas, just ones that smell nice)
Any suggestions, my companions? :D

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Have you tried any of the OTC's? Prince Albert is still somewhat aromatic but not like those shop blends.
Maybe a straight Virginia like Xmas Cheer or even SG FVF would be a good try.
If all else fails, tell the others that they ARE in a smoke shop after all! :wink:

mrkeys

Lurker
Aug 16, 2015
Perhaps your looking for a more personal opinion (I would have no idea what you should try anyway) or you already use this feature, but TobaccoReviews.com has some useful tools in their search. For example, you could tick 'unnoticeable', 'very pleasant', 'pleasant' for average room note, then - as I imagine most of these would be aromatics and you want to avoid Perique - select the type of tobaccos you wish to include in your search. Hit 'search' and order the results by average overall rating (perhaps ignore those with only 1/2 reviews) and you'll have a nice list to peruse.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Go to the Country Squire and try their Private Blend for August. It's somewhere between an English Blend and an aromatic.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
McCrainie's Red Ribbon. Great room note for a straight Virginia. Also quite sweet so as an aro smoker you will probably like the taste.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Just FWIW, my wife prefers the woodsy, cmpfire room-note of Latakia blends over the cake-shop-on-fire room note of sweet aros.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I agree with Prince Albert. One of the mellowest smokes you'll ever have, and still smells decent to those around you.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I keep thinking you might like C&D Epiphany. It's not advertised as an Aromatic but it's got a fruity flavor, and it's not strong.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I probably have 30 to 40 blends in my cellar and I like them all. Rather than offering you specifics, I would suggest that you begin a methodical exploration of the world of tobacco.
You've already tried several aromatics, so you have handle for that type of blend. Going forward, you might want to try a a couple or several mixes based on the blend family or style:
Viriginias/Perique

Escudo

G.L. Pease Fillmore,

G.L. Pease Haddo's delight

Morning Bayou

H&H Anniversary Kake
Virginia/burleys

Samuel Gawith Navy Flake

Estorica Stonehaven
English

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

Dunhill NightCap

Gl Pease Maltese Falcon and Quiet Nights

H&H Balkan Sobranie

H&H Magnum Opus (One of my favorite tobaccos of any class)

SG Squadron Leader
Cigar Leaf

C&d Habana Day Dreams

H&H Stogie

GL Pease Robusto

McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro (My favority Cigar leaf based blend)
These are just blends that come to mind. There are hundreds of others as there are also Balkans, Lakelands, Scottish, and other styles to try.
If you are interested in exploring blends with your comrads, then you might check out our tobacco crawls. Greg Pease is hosting the October Crawl.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
One of our most distinguished flakeophiles, cigrmaster, has noted that MacBaren Vanilla Flake has great vanilla sweetness with real tobacco flavor- might we worth a look.
I'd recommend Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake for something with tasty Virgnias, subtle, baking spice-like periques, and a non-offensive room note.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think the OP was looking for non-aros that sill have "ok" room notes- I'm not sure any Latakia blends fit that description but ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.