PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
I'm looking for a minimum bowl height of 2 inches and up, and short/squat (nose warmers or close to it). I prefer thick bowls.
I discovered Joe Case pipes, but sadly he appears to not be making those sorts of pipes any more. Any alternative recommendations besides Boswell? Thanks.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
David Jones makes pokers like that. I have one and love it. I don't know if he retired because he isn't on Ebay anymore, but you can always keep an eye out for an estate.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I'm looking for a minimum bowl height of 2 inches and up

1. Look at Tom's work (Fat_Daddy_Pipes). He's on Instagram. He only makes big pokers. Great work. He was also on the PAT Podcast recently. https://www.instagram.com/fat_daddy_pipes/
2. Ardor and Ascort make big pokers. Good stuff.
3. Larry Roush! Dude, seriously. Fantastic, huge pokers. https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/larry-roush/
4. Radice pokers are also nice.
5. Castello makes huge pokers. Here's mine. It's a magnum poker.

MMRMeEs.jpg

2smoke

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Flowery Branch, Georgia
I'm just getting started making pipes and I lean towards larger pipes. This is my latest one.

5 1/4” long x 2” tall x 1 1/2” diameter. Chamber is 7/8” diameter x 1 3/8” deep.

ZyfzptW
LY9JvKR
ZU7x0MN

2smoke

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Let me try getting my picture to upload again.

I'm just getting started making pipes and I lean towards larger pipes. This is my latest one.

5 1/4” long x 2” tall x 1 1/2” diameter. Chamber is 7/8” diameter x 1 3/8” deep.

ZU7x0MN.jpg

ZyfzptW.jpg

efHYCag.jpg

nuGvLAm.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It looks like the mother lode of big pokers has been posted, really magnificent examples of the size and shape. I'll just pipe up (ho-ho) to say that I found a La Rocca big poker at my local independent pipe shop, Pipes by George, but the carved loop rustication struck me as a little too folksy. Apparently not, since the pipe stayed in mind, and weeks later, I went back vowing to buy it if it was still there. It was and I did. It's a great pipe, well above its price point.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
1. Look at Tom's work (Fat_Daddy_Pipes). He's on Instagram. He only makes big pokers. Great work. He was also on the PAT Podcast recently. https://www.instagram.com/fat_daddy_pipes/
This is exactly what I had in mind. Not a fan of the whole bi-color bowl thing he has going on, but the size and style are dead on otherwise.
2. Ardor and Ascort make big pokers. Good stuff.
I continue to keep an eye on them on SmokingPipes. Haven't had luck with these yet.
3. Larry Roush! Dude, seriously. Fantastic, huge pokers. https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/larry-roush/
Nice! I'll keep checking on those. Looks like he'll place something there that will be my style.
5. Castello makes huge pokers. Here's mine. It's a magnum poker.
I don't normally go for the freehands, but that looks awesome.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
David Jones makes pokers like that. I have one and love it. I don't know if he retired because he isn't on Ebay anymore, but you can always keep an eye out for an estate.
I found him and quickly moved on once I saw he didn't have any pipes for sale and his site looked quite dated.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
I have 2 large pokers on my for sale thread, a Moretti Cortex and Radice. I also have a large Larrysson poker I will be selling.
Not quite what I'm looking for, but thank you.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Let me try getting my picture to upload again.

Very cool. A bit too long, and the bowl is too thin for what I'm after. Keep up the great work on the pipes!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Based upon your responses, it sounds like you have something very specific in mind. Why don't you just commission an Artisan to build exactly what you want? Looks like 2smoke makes nice pipes, why not discuss it with him?

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Based upon your responses, it sounds like you have something very specific in mind. Why don't you just commission an Artisan to build exactly what you want? Looks like 2smoke makes nice pipes, why not discuss it with him?
It's looking that way for sure.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Nowakowski is a Polish carver who sells simple pokers with a standard 3/4" chamber but massively thick walls. They typically sell for less than $40. There are smooth and rusticated versions. I have a smooth. It smokes well, especially for flakes. Here is a recent eBay sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.