Looking for Information on dyeing Cob Pipes.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Does anyone know if cob pipes can be dyed, stained or painted some way? I'd love to get more information on learning how to dye the MM pipes to a dark brown or grey color. They seem to be sealed but I'd imagine that could be sanded off and then maybe they'd take a dye or stain of some kind? Also any specific type of stain or dye that would be appropriate for a pipe? Any sealers? I figure there's probably a lot of people wondering why spend time and effort on a $3-$10 pipe, but i think it would be a fun and cheap past time to spruce up cheap disposable pipes. I'll probably give it a try soon but wondering if anyone had tried it before and had some tips?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'd be guessing, but if there's a coating on the outside, it's probably a light coat of shellac...
If you try to sand through that, you'll be sanding away the cob texture....
For a good low-tech non-toxic dark brown you could probably boil some tea bags and get some nice concentrated tea- use an artist brush to paint that on...
The other route would be what we use on briar- Fiebings leather dye.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
An alcohol based leather dye is your best choice. A light sanding to remove existing shellac would help, when done, hit it with a light coat of shellac to finish. I think, if I remember the right videos, the dark brown on the cobs is actually from the maker rubbing a block of wood on the cob while it is spinning on the lathe to burn in the color.

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Great! Thanks guys. I'm gonna have lots of ideas to play with. Doesn't hurt to have mini indoor projects with winter coming. Here's a quick idea i had. BLOWTORCH!.....I'm gonna need more cob pipes. :crazy:

100_1457.JPG

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Yes, the smokeable seconds is a good idea. The light burning with the torch actually worked pretty well but I was just messing around and not being very careful. Still a light shellac or oiling would probably turn out nice. :) Either way I'm happy to be rid of the hay color. I just prefer the look of dark pipes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The Country Gentleman, which is my favorite MM cob, also happens to be one of the darker stained ones:
cntrygentbntlg.jpg

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I used food coloring once on a MM McArthur. I just mixed up the food coloring (green) in a bucket of water and plunked the pipe in for a while. Came out light green, so I did it again. Now it's a pipe that works great for St Paddys.
Fiebings might produce a richer, darker tone of color. And likely have a better resiliency over time. I figured I would use food coloring because it's safe to literally consume, depending on how my sloppy job went.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have been making cobs for a couple years now and have experimented with different coatings and "dyes". I am always pretty cautious when I start dying cobs. I dont recommend putting anything toxic on your pipes just due to the fact that the cobs will absorb it and go in to your tobacco. I also dont recommend food grade products because they will mold over time and become rancid. LIke the folks at MM cob I guess the better way to go is plaster. You could mix some coloring in with some plaster and see how that would work. Let me know what you find out and good luck. I personally just use straight corn cobs with no coatings or additives. The cobs dont last as long as the ones you buy from big companies but they are all natural and have a great flavor.

Reactions: Osirus

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
Nothing better than coffee grounds for a dark/light brown stain. I love coloring wood with the stuff, looks and smells amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.