PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I don't know if this will help, but I find the C&D English blends with burley a nice change-up from the standard Virginia based English blends. These include Tuggle Hall, Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Big'n'Burley, and Stratfordshire.
Surprised you didn’t list Bayou Nights , I know you‘re a fan ,maybe not enough Latakia but definitely a great distinct and singular blend…

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can't remember who is making it now but if you are willing to pay for it Balkan Sobranie is quite a nice Balkan blend. Smokingpipes has it once in a while.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can't remember who is making it now but if you are willing to pay for it Balkan Sobranie is quite a nice Balkan blend. Smokingpipes has it once in a while.
The recent- quite a few years ago- Balkan is nothing like the original and there's a lot cheaper good Latakia blends.

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I always say you can’t go wrong with GLP Westminster, Quiet Nights, and Meridian.

I have several of those in the cellar.

Or, and I could be remembering this wrong, you could get a tin of Old Ironsides which had a nice punch of Latakia and was a great smoke. I just haven’t had it in a while and I’m guessing it’s still made.

*Edit - it’s in stock at Smokingpipes so I’d recommend that if you haven’t had it.
I'm trying Old Ironsides tonight! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I'm trying Old Ironsides tonight! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Awesome, hope you enjoy it as much as I did when I had it. It really hits that full on latakia flavor for me.

Let me know your thoughts either way though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
Awesome, hope you enjoy it as much as I did when I had it. It really hits that full on latakia flavor for me.

Let me know your thoughts either way though.
I smoked a full bowl in my large Normar. It smoked all the way to the bottom. I then switched over to the Peter Stokkebyte English in a different pipe and then went back to Old Ironsides. It's a smooth smoke that gave me no trouble--the moisture content was perfect, it gave good smoke, and it stayed consistent throughout. I have smoked countless cigars over the years, so my "tasters" aren't what they used to be, Nonetheless, Old Ironsides was like...pork. Not roast pork, but maybe slow-cooked pork. Meaty. The Latakia. I will smoke it again because of its "smoke-ability" and terrific consistency, however it is the latter quality that will have me reaching for something with a little more variety(?) in its flavor profile. In fact, I may try mixing some of it with other blends. Thank you for suggesting it. It's going to be part of my rotation for sure.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For a paltry 500.00 I will give you the list of lists and you will never need another. I have been asked numerous times not to post it on the site as once people see it they do on a feeding frenzy. I should have monetized this list years ago but I was just trying to be a good guy and got shit for it. Now if anyone wants it they pay through the nose. I accept 24kt Gold Ingots as the only form of payment

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I'm strictly a non-aromatic smoker. My go-to blend is Presbyterian, although I've smoked quite a bit of Old Dublin (an old favourite), My Mixture 965, Balkan Mixture, Peter Stokkebye PS52 Proper English and others. Anything else out there you might recommend? I like a Latakia-forward blend with little or no toppings. Thank you!
We seem to have similar tastes and I’m liking Gaslight

Reactions: MilesDavis

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Quiet Nights is pretty fantastic as is Westminster and Chelsea Morning.

There are many. Plum Pudding Special Reserve is also very tasty (but quite pricey).

Fusiliers Ration and Bengal Slices are also decent.

Reactions: CallMeSangy