PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I'm strictly a non-aromatic smoker. My go-to blend is Presbyterian, although I've smoked quite a bit of Old Dublin (an old favourite), My Mixture 965, Balkan Mixture, Peter Stokkebye PS52 Proper English and others. Anything else out there you might recommend? I like a Latakia-forward blend with little or no toppings. Thank you!

Reactions: coys and jpmcwjr

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I'm strictly a non-aromatic smoker. My go-to blend is Presbyterian, although I've smoked quite a bit of Old Dublin (an old favourite), My Mixture 965, Balkan Mixture, Peter Stokkebye PS52 Proper English and others. Anything else out there you might recommend? I like a Latakia-forward blend with little or no toppings. Thank you!

I always say you can’t go wrong with GLP Westminster, Quiet Nights, and Meridian.

I have several of those in the cellar.

Or, and I could be remembering this wrong, you could get a tin of Old Ironsides which had a nice punch of Latakia and was a great smoke. I just haven’t had it in a while and I’m guessing it’s still made.

*Edit - it’s in stock at Smokingpipes so I’d recommend that if you haven’t had it.

Reactions: CallMeSangy

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I always say you can’t go wrong with GLP Westminster, Quiet Nights, and Meridian.

I have several of those in the cellar.

Or, and I could be remembering this wrong, you could get a tin of Old Ironsides which had a nice punch of Latakia and was a great smoke. I just haven’t had it in a while and I’m guessing it’s still made.

*Edit - it’s in stock at Smokingpipes so I’d recommend that if you haven’t had it.
Thanks!

Jun 23, 2019
Dunhill (Peterson's) Nightcap still the yard stick for the category.

Arango's Balkan Supreme is another great bulk alternative.

Quiet Nights already mentioned, I would also suggest Chelsea Morning as a similar but lighter option.

S Gawith Squadron Leader/Skiff Mixture, Balkan Flake (not an English but a lovely Lat Bomb), Perfection is another English mixture, it's just okay for me but different people different palettes and all that. Definitely all worth a try.

Reactions: ChonkyTonks

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I like the Sutliff bulks: Match Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture; Match Balkan Sobranie 759; Balkan II; and CA-100. Also GLP Abingdon, Odyssey,and Charing Cross

I'd also suggest Seattle PIpe Club Plum Pudding (the regular, not the Special Reserve).

Reactions: MilesDavis

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
What other people have added so i dont need to add to that but there is the new Presbyterian flake limited edition being released any day now, seems vendors already have it but have to wait for the official ok to put it up for sale.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
What other people have added so i dont need to add to that but there is the new Presbyterian flake limited edition being released any day now, seems vendors already have it but have to wait for the official ok to put it up for sale.
Both Mars and Watch City (and probably other shops) have the new Presbyterian Reformation Flake in stock. It is, however, a cocoa flavored aromatic.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
965, Proper English and Old Dublin are pretty oriental-forward. Based on that:

LJ Peretti Royal, Tashkent, Oriental 40 and Cambridge Flake.

Hearth & Home White Knight and Magnum Opus.

All the Pease blends that have already been mentioned.

Personally, I'm now a complete LJ Peretti fanboy haha. They must have either the best blender of Oriental / English mixtures in existence, access to the best remaining stock of these tobaccos, or both. ;)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No latakia in that one and is fairly aromatic. It's drawing comparisons to Sutliff's Mocha Strips.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
if you want a Lat Bomb and to poltergeist ( ghost ) your pipe( for a few smokes at least) try some C&D Pirate Kake. Super creamy…

As already mentioned Father Dempsey’s has a nice almost skunky twist.

But for an ultra smooth English with no rough whatsoever , check out Squadron Leader , dang it smooth

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know if this will help, but I find the C&D English blends with burley a nice change-up from the standard Virginia based English blends. These include Tuggle Hall, Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Big'n'Burley, and Stratfordshire.