PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Hello folks,
Background: I am seeking the collective wisdom from fellow forum members on a recommendation for a specific type of Burley blend. I am continuing my appreciation of MM pipes and just received my "General" MM in the mail. I understand from a little research that Gen. MacArthur smoked, or at least favored, a cube cut Burley called Harkness F.
Question: What Burley blend would you recommend that is widely available in today's online market? It seems the Harkness F is not an option, but if you have a line on where I can order some, that would be welcome too.
Thank you for your help.
RD

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Well Rolldog, I have tried only one cube cut burley blend and that was the Edgeworth Ready Rubbed match, from Pipes & Cigars. It's nice and nutty and an easy smoke. Not sure how much that helps but thought I'd at least give you another option.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I have heard of Granger before in other posts, they did not mention it was a cube cut. Sounds like an early front runner.
Please keep the suggestions flowing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Granger, an old favorite of mine, isn't cube cut, it's "rough cut" as the can announces.

It's a grand old over-the-counter brand that stays damp forever. If you want more

upscale burley blends, go to the Cornell-Diehl web site. Their menu goes on forever,

and they have like scores of burley blends from unadorned to extra complex, aro and non,

with other tobaccos like Virginia and Latakia and Perique, and without. It will make your

head spin just to study the vast variety, but you will get an education in what is possible

with burley and beyond. It bends the mind.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I have no idea what Harkness F. tasted like, so this may be WAY off-base. . . but as I recall, the Iwan Ries Three Star series might be cube cut. (I haven't smoked it since I was in college -- 30 years ago -- but I remember it being fairly granular in nature. At least, that's my memory of the Three Star Blue.)
BTW, totally off-topic: I can't recall anyone here every praising or even commenting on any of the Three Star tobaccos. Does no one here smoke them?
Bob

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Dochudson - we need a 'Like' button for your avatar. Well done sir...and thank you for the recommendation.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I can't let a cube cut post go without mentioning Uhle's Crushed White Burley. It is part cube cut and part ribbon with a nice light licorice topping and a great old timey feel to it. I had some the other day. It is blended by a tobacco shop in Milwaukee.

uhles-cwb-600x448.jpg

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Carter Hall and Prince Albert are widely available and always a dependable Burley flavor.
For a more aromatic smoke I like H&H Classic Burley Cake.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
For OTC blends, I've found that Sir Walter Raleigh and Prince Albert are enjoyable blends in my cob pipes.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I want to thank all the members who gave great input into my search for cube cut burley blends.
I ordered "Double Eagle" from Sterling Tobacco out of IL yesterday.
At my local B&Ms I will look for;

- Granger - an old time and enduring favorite

- Sir Walter Raleigh

- Prince Albert
Online I will look for;

- Edgeworth Ready Rubbed from Pipes & Cigars

- Boswell’s Premium Burley
When I am next in Milwaukee, since Uhle doesn't ship to MI (I am assuming for tax purposes);

- Uhle's Crushed White Burley - Special thanks to Sallow, who offered to send me a sample
Thank you all for making this forum the world class place to ask questions, share ideas and wisdom.
RD

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
Dunhill Ultra Mild is a nice Burley for someone who likes VAs but also wants to get into burley IMO.
I bought a tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake over Xmas and have been smoking a lot of it recently. Nice straight forward burley flavor and high quality leaf. I would definitely recommend this.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Might wanna check out Iwan Ries Private Blend. It's an old-timey,coarse-cut burley, at a very good price.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I really enjoy my burley's. One's I have tried and would suggest are:
Milan tobacco- Old Dominion, 101 Burley, and 401 Burley

Boswell-Premium Burley

Lane-BLWB

Sutliff-MIld Burly

Granger

Just got some of the cube cut stuff, but haven't tried yet

Status