Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I'm on a Balkan kick right now.

So far I've tried:

CD Sunset Harbor Flake
Arango Balkan Supreme
SPC Plum Pudding

I was looking at GL Pease Abingdon or Charing Cross. I have a tin of Kensington and Westminster already but haven't tried it yet, but due to where I live I don't have it with me. I also have tins of Fusiliers Ration and Bengal Slices, which I have heard are similar to SPC PP, but don't have them on hand.

Can anyone me on a good Balkan to try, or give me some advice on the two GL Pease blends I'm considering?

Thank you!

Last edited:

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
The Balkan’s you’ve mentioned are my all time favorite smokes. Love crumble cakes such as Plum Pudding and Bengal Slices. For something totally different than those, but still delicious, I’d recommend Hearth and Home Black House. It’s much lighter, and more delicate. A true all day smoke for me.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Charing Cross is an excellent Balkan IMHO. I haven't tried Abingdon (maybe I should). :)

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
HU makes many wonderful tobaccos. They make many great Balkan mixtures and although I haven't tried them all, I did receive a sample of Tuarekh that I thought it was pretty damn impressive. A real top-quality 'luxurious' Balkan.

Reactions: oldtoby

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Abingdon is GLP’s best Balkan IMHO. I find it richer and more Oriental forward than Charing Cross which, is also, a great smoke. My favorite bulk Balkan is Sutliff Balkan II.
There are a lot of good to great blends in this genre and you should enjoy sampling a bunch of them. A lot of forum members recommend Balkan Supreme. I find this to be a MOR Balkan.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
HU Zulu
Peretti Royal
Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend
Hearth and Home White Knight

You should try Plum Pudding Special Reserve too, if you liked the SPC PP.

If you can find it/afford it McClelland Balkan Blue is out of this world as well.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Smokers Haven, Our Best Blend, or Exotique!! Both are excellent blends that aren't always available. And it's blended by J.F. Germaine & son.

Reactions: oldtoby

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I loved my tin of Kensington which I just finished recently, and if Charing Cross is similar, but a bit fuller, I bet it would be great as well. I smoked a ton of Bengal Slices when the new version came out and it was my favorite tobacco for a while. It's a bit different because of the prominent topping. I didn't care as much for Abingdon when I tried it, but I was fairly new then and for whatever reason, it just never seemed as full-flavored and Lat-heavy as I was expecting at the time. Now, I actually prefer medium Latakia blends, so it might be better appreciated with another try. I don't know if they qualify as Balkan, but since you're considering Bengal Slices, I thought I'd also mention GLP's Blackpoint and Maltese Falcon, which are both wonderful as well.

Reactions: logs

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
You should try Star of the East Gold and Super Balkan both by C&D and available in bulk. One balkan that is unique and tasty is D&R Ramback Balkan.

Status
Not open for further replies.