Looking for a Club

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Big Bear

Aug 21, 2020
Does anyone know of any active pipe clubs in Montana? In the town where I live no one else except for my dad smokes a pipe, a lot of cigarette smokers, but no pipe smokers.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

BROBS

Preferred Member
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don't think there's much of anything in Montana.. the only state that can compete for that is Nebraska.

Reactions: anotherbob

verporchting

Preferred Member
Dec 30, 2018
Well I’m in Helena and the only other pipe smoker I’ve ever seen is probably an old vet that I think is homeless. I see him fairly regularly walking around with a cob pipe and a rucksack. Always had the impression he might be camping in the woods outside of town about a mile or two from where I always see him. Oh yeah, saw an old guy in a pickup once but he might have been passing through. So, yeah, Montana Pipe Club might be pretty slim pickings.

Reactions: BROBS

Big Bear

Aug 21, 2020
I thought it might be a long shot, the only other pipe smoker I have known outside of my ad and I is a guy I knew in college, he was from California and I think he moved back there after school. It would be cool to convert the cig smokers to smoking. I reckon it is a good thing I joined this forum, it looks Like I can learn all I need to know right here.

verporchting

Preferred Member
Dec 30, 2018
Depending on where you’re at Mark Tinsky has his shop in Wolf Creek and he’s a great guy to visit with. He invited me to come smoke a pipe with him sometime and I intend to do so. I spent a great afternoon with him in his shop a few months back and he made a pipe for me. Bought another custom from him recently and love it. He’s a great guy and what’s not to like about visiting with an artisan pipe maker over a bowl of Navy Flake whilst he makes beautiful pipes ???

anotherbob

Preferred Member
Well I’m in Helena and the only other pipe smoker I’ve ever seen is probably an old vet that I think is homeless. I see him fairly regularly walking around with a cob pipe and a rucksack. Always had the impression he might be camping in the woods outside of town about a mile or two from where I always see him. Oh yeah, saw an old guy in a pickup once but he might have been passing through. So, yeah, Montana Pipe Club might be pretty slim pickings.
either that or he comes from a long line of money and just loves camping. Seriously we have that guy in my town. Everyone thinks he's homeless, nope just lives like it for some sad reason.

bicyclevagabond

Dec 30, 2016
I live in Helena and have been looking around as well. Since there's a ban to smoke indoors at establishments and a small population I haven't had much luck. There might be some inside knowledge at the pipe shops in Missoula and Billings. Maybe someone at the Manstore might know, but I doubt it. It's more of a convenience store with a humidor.