PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
It's all been said by previous posters.

Smokingpipes.com has some excellently priced estates right now - I'd say that's probably your best bet for quality/price ratio on the briar. There are some for sale on this forum even.

Like others have said you can't go wrong with Savinelli or Rossi pipes. Morgan's aren't bad... one brand I see a lot on eBay which look very attractive for the price is Moretti. I'm pretty tempted to get a Moretti morta pipe at some point.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
When you talk about pipes, quality comes at all prices. There is so much that goes into the price of a pipe. Quality may be one thing but not necessarily. A lot of times it's only the name brand that makes it perceived as "quality".

"Cheap" doesn't necessarily mean lacking in quality. And expensive doesn't necessarily mean high quality. It's a hit or miss game with pipes. I have several pipes that were very inexpensive with many fills that smoke better than some of my expensive pipes that might be perceived as "high quality".

I know there are a billion opinions about the quality of briar making a difference in smoking quality but I have not noticed a difference in smoking quality between expensive and cheap. I think that's what makes pipes and tobacco so enjoyable. It's a matter of trying as many pipes as possible. That's why many of us have too many pipes.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I have a $6 MM pipe, a $12 pear wood no name that smokes as good as a $149 Savinelli. And I have new $95 Brigham that I can't even smoke due to drilling error (no draw).

My favorite is a Sivinelli Bing's favorite. It was $90 or less. I don't think price is a reflection on the manufacturing quality.
You should contact Brigham, they have excellent customer service - usually will happily either fix or completely replace the pipe (I've read good experiences of others).

Mar 1, 2014
#1 Country Gentleman Corn Cob Pipe - CornCobPipe.com - https://corncobpipe.com/product/country-gentleman-corn-cob-pipe/
The geometrically perfect shaping in the air channel in a Missouri Meerschaum plastic stem makes Cobs some of the best pipes on the market at any price, and some of those pipes also just happen to cost less than $15.

#2 Tsuge The Tasting Tobacco Pipes | Buy Tsuge The Tasting Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/tsuge/index.cfm?tag=4084
If you like a well made button then Tsuge makes the best button you will find at $60.
The airway is only about as open as a $50 Rossi, so if you like a big soft Vulcanite bit then Rossi is the way to go, but if you appreciate a well crafted Acrylic stem then Tsuge makes one of the best on the market.

#3 Moonshine Pipes - Briarworks - http://briarworksusa.com/moonshine-pipe-co/
Putting a $135 pipe on this list is a bit of a stretch but I have to give a shoutout to Briarworks.
My Briarworks made Icarus Bent Egg has the most open draw and thoroughly complete drilling of any Briar pipe I own.
Missouri Meerschaum plastic stems are still "aerodynamically" better, but a lot of people are going to prefer the slim Acrylic stem from Briarworks.
The specific model I have is not made anymore but it's very similar to the Moonshine Bent Egg, so I assume the Moonshine brand carries on with the same manufacturing process.
Everything I've seen says these guys make the best factory pipe on the market bar none, so from that perspective $135 isn't necessarily asking a lot.

If I were a fan of lightweight pipes for clenching I probably never would have bought anything else, but I'm a sitting down Churchwarden guy so Briarworks pipes never got a lot of attention from me.
(This Peder Jeppesen pipe was my most recent acquisition: Neerup P. Jeppesen Handmade Ida Easy Cut Sandblasted Bent Dublin Churchwarden (5) | Buy Neerup Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/neerup/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=437082 )

Reactions: tobefrank

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I would go for an estate pipe of a modest line such as many mentioned above.

Not only much cheaper to purchase, they are usually already broken in!

Reactions: OzPiper