PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I was looking at the Carey site and see they have good prices on their brand of pipes. Who can tell me their experiences with smoking this brand? What is your impression on their "Magic Inch" system. Their tobacco blends? I do see a few of the Carey Emerald Isle line I would not mind owning.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I can't speak for the Carey's Blends, but i do have a couple of their pipes and i think they're a slept on brand that usually aren't sought after. Take for instance a Falcon or a Kirsten, they'll fight for a crappy one on ebay. Where as i've gotten my Carey's for almost nothing and have been nice pieces of briar. As for the magic inch, it feels like its a little restrictive, but i dont find that it effects my smoke. I'll post up some pictures when i get a chance.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I had on that I traded last year, It was a nice peice of briar like reb said, but the MI system wasnt in it, I actually filled the holes with resin and smoked it. I dont like the stem material they use, reminds me of a cob

Never tried their blends tho

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
I got in on their promo on this site a few months back, and got some black cavendish tobacco, which was pretty good.

The pipe was really nicely built, and a good piece of briar, but the magic inch system didn't work for me out of the box. The extra air intake made it constantly feel like the draw was too open, and I kept packing tighter and tighter, until it didn't draw at all. Tried it several times with the same effect.

Ended up slapping a small piece of black electrical tape over the magic inch openings, and now it smokes like a dream. (And you can't even see the tape on the black stem)

Good company with good products though.

-PM

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I have several Carey Magic Inch pipes. I smoke them often. Because the Magic Inch system is basically a vent, the pipes have to be packed more loosely than other pipes. Once you get the hang of that, they are good smokers. They are a solid value. They are also a sponsor. I think the special 19.95 deal may still be on. A pipe and 4 ounces of tobacco for 19.95 is a super deal. Look for the ad on this site. - bp

Status
Not open for further replies.