Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I'm seriously thinking of going for this lathe. Grizzly
I was also considering the 10 x 22 lathe also however my chuck I have wont fit a 1 3/4 spindle.
What size lathes do others on here use? Would a 20mm bore be ok for working stems with the larger stocks not fitting into the bore when cutting the tenons? I'm trying to prevent the stock from vibrating when spinning. I figure being able to go down to 120rpms would be nice and slow.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I have the g4000. It's small and doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it gets the job done. Why you want to run at 120 rpm is beyond me. Especially for stem work. If u have rod stock there should be no worry of vibration. Stummels will vibrate like hell.

Jun 4, 2014
The link did not work. I have a G4003G 12x36, I mainly use it for metal work so I can't comment on how it would work for pipe making. I had it for a couple years now and found it has been a stable and accurate lathe. You should be able to remove the back plate on your current chuck and replace it with a either a cam lock or different threaded back plate. I have several Grizzy machines and have been very happy with them.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Was thinking running at a slower speed when drilling the airway would help prevent over heating. What is the headstock spindle size? Would a 1" x 8tpi chuck mount on it? Is the 4 jaw chuck that comes with it good for holding briar blocks?
G4000

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Check the specs for head stock spindle. The 4 jaw is not safe to hold briar. Although I find myself using two of the jaws to do just that lol

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I've had the 9x20 for 3 years...About to upgrade to a Precision Matthews 1127VS...
One of the best ways to drill is with a two jaw chuck with pins- this one's by Trent Rudat- about $475. Makes life much simpler.
2igkfav.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
What size is that chuck Zack?
It's a 4", 4 jaw, scrolling chuck. That's large enough for anything I work with. It makes an enormous difference in production time, especially when you have to accurately rechuck a piece.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Was looking at this chuck to get with the lathe but they don't carry back plates the same size for the spindle. Chuck
How wide will the 4" open? I can make some plates to fit the clamps.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Well I settled on the G0602, it is a bit bigger than the G4000 but has a few more features plus it can cut threads for its spindle size. Main reason I didn't go with the 4000 is the distance to the bed and cross piece. I can't wait for the order to arrive.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Well here is the lathe on the stand I built. It came in Monday and was put on the incomplete stand Friday evening. I finished up the stand Saturday and today, and now have it setting in the garage where my wood lathe sat. Will add a few more things to it (a spot to hold rods, lamp rack, etc) as I use it.

With doors closed

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice looking lathe! I'd like to have one that size. I really like my Grizzly 7X12 but wish it were bigger !

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I was thinking of one that size but afraid of a few things. Not liking it after I got it (harbor freight one), out growing it, not being able to do what I want on it, etc. I took the risk and went for the larger one. I did a bit of drilling on one block so far (none briar) and it worked great. I ordered a back plate to prevent myself from changing plates when switching chucks. I had to trim it up some and it worked wonderfully. I'm still planing on using my wood lathe for buffing and maybe a few other odd jobs but the drilling portion is on the grizzly.

Jun 4, 2014
Nice looking lathe, I'm sure she will give you years of good service. The nice thing about Grizzly is that you can get parts from them.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have the harbor freight 12 n X 33 3/8 for large projects. Also do all my drilling on this one. It makes it super easy. For stems I use a 10 X 18 inch. I use a set of Baracuda chucks but need something like what Zack posted.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Looks good!...Did you use a come-along and frame to lift it or just a couple of large friends?

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
As much as it weighed I thought about renting an engine lift to pick it up. I had a friend come over after work and help me muscle it up and into place to bolt down. Then I finished the table, and put the sides on to keep the table braced.
Heres a photo of me next to it before I finished the cabinet. I'm 6' tall for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.