PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You decide to cellar tobacco. A practice that depends on jarring or sealing in Mylar by a certain date will disrupt the aging environment in mid-course. No one knows if this matters, but it is certain that when oxygen is introduced, anaerobic fermentation changes to aerobic aging. Unless you plan to smoke it, why would you ever disrupt an environment that is certain to work. All the storied accounts of aging maintained the original environment.

I just paid $132.XX for a K of DF. I plan to jar it on receipt. I'm not going to take chances and hedge my bets holding out for some future "jar by" date because Ralph the pipe smoker said, "Yeah sure, she'll go a good 10 years."

Why take chances?

Reactions: seanv and autumnfog

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It is funny that Greg's tins all swell up on me, but C&D tins don't for me. I've yet to have one explode, and when I first started buying GLP tins, they came to me with quite a few years on them. Maybe I am just lucky. I hope.
I've had a couple of Black Frigate tins pop. Sounded like firecrackers going off in my closet.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I know, I know, but Greg promotes cellaring and changing the tins to jars once you get them. Why not just sell us the tobacco for twice as much as other bulks and spare us the process of having to rejar them? It seems like he invests a lot into going against his suggestions.
Ask C&D. They handle the packaging. Years ago Pease sold some of his 8 oz amounts in Mylar.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
If you don't mind me asking, what brand of tobacco was it and how old were the tins?
RO Acadian Gold tins from (I think) 2017.

ro8-tp-1000.png

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I've vacuum sealed all of my square tins, SG, G&H and Macbaren. I opened my boxes to check on my tins and found a compromised Bobs Chocolate Flake. Lid basically fell off as I grabbed it. Wasn't taking any chances with the others. Round tins I'm not worried about.

Reactions: autumnfog and mingc

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Never had a problem with SG rectangle tins but have lost at least a dozen Mac Baren square tins over the last few years. All Mac Baren tobacco goes straight to the jars when I buy them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm a victim of my myth that I am now and have always been a jar on receipt kind of guy. Though basically true, the last time I had tins I can remember trusting the tobacco to square, pressed on seals. Sorry to misinform you:).

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve only ever had 3 older tins from 2014 all have been great. Two I popped open, Squadron and Ennerdale, the tabac was great. The tin of SJF is still closed, with no smell.

Reactions: autumnfog

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I know the SG square tins slowly leak because I can smell tobacco when I open the plastic storage bins I use. But the seals hold when pulled on. I did find some old (2012) Esoterica Penzance tins where the lids came loose and the insides were showing rust. Jarred those up as soon as I saw what was happening. But my SG has stayed in the tins.