PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I figured that since this topic has come up a bit lately I’d start a thread. Post pics of you Longchamps or other leather-covered pipes or share related info. I have one Longchamps meer-lined billiard with a stinger that belonged to my grandfather. I’m cleaning it up now and will post a pic when it’s done. Haven’t smoked it yet. Not a fan of stingers and almost all of his pipes have them.

Any thoughts on cleaning the leather?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
@Birddog66 Do you have any examples of the Longchamps logo on any of your pipes? I’m thinking about refreshing the logo on mine but am not sure of the color. The ones I’ve found online look white or maybe silver. The tiny bit that was remaining on mine before I cleaned up the stem looked a little more gold.

Another interesting thing is that the logos on the pipes I’ve seen online appear on the left side of the pipe. Mine appears on the right. I wonder if it means anything.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
@Birddog66 Do you have any examples of the Longchamps logo on any of your pipes? I’m thinking about refreshing the logo on mine but am not sure of the color. The ones I’ve found online look white or maybe silver. The tiny bit that was remaining on mine before I cleaned up the stem looked a little more gold.

Another interesting thing is that the logos on the pipes I’ve seen online appear on the left side of the pipe. Mine appears on the right. I wonder if it means anything.

That’s really unusual to be on the right side, I’ve seen them on the top (Canadian) but never the right hand side. The logo on this bent Opera is actually in silver, again I’ve never seen that on another LCimage.jpg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
@ofafeather , as for your question about cleaning the leather, Ive never messed with one of these pipes, but the first thing I’d try is Feibing’s Saddle Soap. Many detergents are hard on leather and will make them brittle and crack over time. Ive never had that experience with Feibing’s Saddle Soap. I use it on my Danner boots and all my leather knife sheaths if they need it. In my experience it cleans extremely well, conditions the leather, and doesn’t alter color. Take all of that with the caveat that I’ve never touched one of these style pipes, so there may be a variable here that I’m not aware of.
If you’ve never used it, the technique is to use a dry brush (probably a toothbrush for something that size) and brush away any loose debris, then dip the brush in water and dampen (not soak) the leather with the dampened brush, and then rub the brush on the soap to pick up a small amount, then brush on a very small amount of the soap until it lathers a bit, then quickly dry it off with a soft cloth.