PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
1. Dry your tobacco much more
2. Experiment with packing. Packing tight is a mistake, packing too loose is also a mistake.
3. Try a briar or a Meerschaum. Cobs have wooden parts inside which char and burn, and the taste is nasty At least that is what put me off Cobs

MM cobs do have a vegetal taste for the first couple of bowls then there's the protruding stem that gives off a wood taste when one gets down to the last bit off the bowl.
Here's what I do with a new cob.

The first couple of bowls I'll ensure that the tobacco is dry, not moist.
Once I taste the hard wood stem, I remove any ash, then add a few pinches of tobacco & really fire it up to get the protruding stem smouldering. This will not interfere with the integrity of the fit of the stem.
Do this 2-3 times & no more issue with the protruding stem, no more woody taste.

There's a little bit off space between the bottom of the bowl to under the draught hole. By using a dry tobacco, when at the end of the bowl, tamp down the grey ash to build cake until it's almost touching the draught hole.
Then one just needs to be a touch careful not to disturb that cake by scraping too deep.

I've got some really nice briars that are great smokers. My 3 MM cobs smoke just as well. In actual fact, some blends taste better in a cob.
They're great pipes once they've been 'broken in'.
This year I'll be adding 3 more MM cobs to my rotation. They are so worth the initial effort.

Reactions: cshubhra

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
sounds like a new pipe is in order. unless, you are handy enough to drill through the stem gently and slowly.
The trick is to use a drill bit by hand. One can destroy a pipes draught hole rather quickly by using a drill.

@Schizo start with a 3mm drill bit. Push it through the draught hole & turn it by hand.
Then see how the draw feels.
If it's still too tight, then use a 4mm drill bit & turn it by hand through the draught hole.

I'll 2nd @mso489 's suggestion; Dr Grabow pipes are good smokers at a very reasonable price.
My little bent Duke & my Riviera both smoke just as well as my more expensive pipes.

Reactions: bullet08

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Just want to second the MM cob option. This is a great way to dip your toes in without spending a lot of money.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Your pipe should be fine if everything is clear. Sounds like something is clogging the airway. And as others have said. Dry the tobacco and pack light.

Status
Not open for further replies.