PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Hello everybody. I have been a nearly daily lurker for quite some time now. I know many of you by your posts, and many of you have helped in my pipers journey and yet I have never stopped and said hello. So to that end, how are y'all? I finally decided that introductions were in order, and maybe along the way help someone else as so many of you have helped me.
A little bit about myself. I have been smoking a pipe off and on for about 14 years now. I picked up my first pipe (a cheep no name basket pipe) in a little shop in Savannah GA while stationed there along with a "house blend" aromatic. While I never really had time to really slow down and enjoy it, a few moments spent in Iraq with a pipe were sublime. I had a friend that was somewhat a pipe mentor that taught me the basics and would turn me onto good tobacco, but looking back, he was far to ridged in his ritual and was far to serious for my linking. However, my pipe often took a back seat to cigarettes and then later on to cigars and so it was that it was something that I did on a rainy day.
Then,roughly about 4 years ago I gave up all tobacco all together. I developed quite the cigarette habit and it was getting extremely expensive and I was sure that my health would soon be in jeopardy if I continued down that path, so I quit. I Gave away most of my fine cigars in my humidor, and threw away my cheep little pipe in the garbage. However, about 5 months ago by chance,or by fate, I came across two awesome estates for such a bargon I couldnt pass them up. A Comoy's blue ribboned, and a Ben wade (london era). While I'm no expert, I dont know pipe shapes and nomenclature, I knew these names and knew they made fine pipes. And so, I knew the universe thought I was ready to try my hand at piping again. And so I did. Since that moment, I have loved every second I get to kick back and relax and enjoy some yummy tobacco. I think in my youth that I enjoyed smoking my pipe, but it never really "clicked" with me as I would have much rather had a cigarette or a cigar. Now it has clicked and I can not even fathom a better way to consume tobacco and IMHO, I find it to be much less concerning than cigarettes.
I know some of you guys know this already but you people are an invaluable wealth of knowledge and help far more people than you know. There are many others, like myself, who may never post a thing for years and yet may read and learn and grow daily from everyone here. So on behalf of those who are unseen, thanks!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Welcome into the light from the shadows! Sounds like you found the best way to enjoy your tobacco, which always the best way. Many people can try to teach you how they do it, but you have to find your own way to maximize the enjoyment. Glad to have you here! Happy piping! :puffy:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Welcome to the forum.
I was stationed in Fort Stewart for 7 years (86-93) and spent many drunken weekends wandering the streets of Savannah.
I miss Vinnie Van Gogo's pizza....
Did you ever encounter "The Count" wandering the streets? I did once. You'd swear he was fresh in from Romania.
2/7 Infantry Battalion, 24th ID. I think the whole division's been re designated at this point.
The older we get, the better we were! :lol:
jay-roger.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Howdy & welcome! Glad to see you here! So how's the Blue Riband for you?? Excellent pipes; hard to find a bargain on one of those. I'm a big fan of their pebble grain line too. Pre-merger, of course. }:)
Oh, BTW, worry not about Crash's comment on visibility. He's not looking to dial you in for fire-for-effect, I promise! :mrgreen:
Bill

Get out of the bushes, and make yourself comfy around the fire. We are a friendly lot... well, not everyone... but it won't take you long to figure out who is who. I'm the crazy one... well, I don't think so, but my pet kangaroo keeps telling everyone... lies, lies, it's all lies..

hello.jpg

Anyways... stay out of trouble... and the corners, because that's where the strange ones pee. :puffy:

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I loved ft. Stwart! Well not the base itself...but I had some of the best times of my life in Savannah, especially on st. Patrick's day. As far as the blue ribboned. I absolutely love it, it is my best smoking pipe by far. When I got it, it was in rough shape. It had cake so thick I could barely fit my pinky in the bowl and had a nasty bitter lat ghost. It took several weeks of sanding the bowl and alcohol and salt treatments to get it into smoking order, but it was well worth it. Shes not super pretty, the markings are faded and some previous owner sanded down the button, but nevertheless she smokes like a dream now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Forums is way more interesting when you get into the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.