PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Quick question. On some of my jars the center of the lid pops a little on initial storing. Is that anything to be concerned about or will time take of it
That happened to me too. I just assumed it was the little bit of air inside the jar settling over the first hour or so since I closed the lid. Probably nothing to worry about (famous last words?).

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Lots of good information, thank you all!

Yes, I was thinking of storing the tobacco maybe 15-25 years. Starting researching Mylar because of space consideration and was curious on long term use with aromatics since thats all I smoke.

Reactions: BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I believe the question, properly phrased, was: "Where does a mensch go to nosh on some chazerai around here?"

And don't be hakken me a tchainek! Or I'll give you a zets... :col:
It all depends on what you're looking for. The few Glatt Kosher restaurants I've tried have been uniformly awful. It has nothing to do with kashruth, it has to do with being mediocre.

If I want the best pastrami sandwich in town I'll head to Langer's which is known worldwide as the best of the best - except to New Yorkers, who share a mass delusion, or maybe deli-usion about their pastrami. In the Valley, Brent's isn't a bad choice, nor is Art's. What flavor of naches are you looking for?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
It all depends on what you're looking for. The few Glatt Kosher restaurants I've tried have been uniformly awful. It has nothing to do with kashruth, it has to do with being mediocre.

If I want the best pastrami sandwich in town I'll head to Langer's which is known worldwide as the best of the best - except to New Yorkers, who share a mass delusion, or maybe deli-usion about their pastrami. In the Valley, Brent's isn't a bad choice, nor is Art's. What flavor of naches are you looking for?
Yes, they are indeed awful. Funny, I grew up less than a mile from Art's. I used to get smoked whitefish there, before it was prohibitively expensive. My dad took me to Langer's many times, which was always tough to fit in, since they close at 4pm. He'd get pastrami, I'd get corned beef, and he would reminisce about the seedy bars my grandfather ran nearby (Alvarado & 8th) back in the 50s, The Top Rail, and The Tender Trap. They also ran The Pink Elephant in Santa Monica together, in the late 70s/early 80s. I can only imagine what kind of clientele showed up at these fine establishments. Definitely meshugenah!

Admittedly, the best deli experience I ever had was at Greenblatt's, by Sunset & Fairfax. Of course, I also had the worst experience there too, so everything pretty much cancels out to a C+ average. I've pretty much tried 'em all, and my paternal grandmother would put them all to shame faster than you can say, "Oy!" But that's just me being kvetchy biased...

Reactions: BROBS

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Quick question. On some of my jars the center of the lid pops a little on initial storing. Is that anything to be concerned about or will time take of it
That just means the air pressure in the jar is the same or higher than atmospheric, in other words the can isn't vacuum sealed. It's a safety feature when you are home canning food (also for store bought food). If you can push in the lid on home-canned food that means the seal is compromised and whatever food is in the jar shouldn't be eaten. With tobacco, I do occasionally hear my jar lids pop as the pressure changes. For tobacco, we don't normally vacuum seal the jars, we just want to keep more air from getting to the contents.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aromatics aren't my first choice, just a change of pace. I like them tobacco-forward, that is, with any flavoring in the background as an accent and not the lead player. Sealed and aged, I think the flavoring first mellows and melds better, and after a few years, noticeably diminishes. To me, this is a good thing. I think aromatics become somewhat different blends with aging, and the quality of the aged product depends on the base tobacco. If that's good Virginia leaf, it may improve, or with base burley it will preserve well but be less flavored. Or that's my take, as I reach for my non-aromatic.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Mason jars are always the way to go when it comes to long term tobacco storage. I have not yet experimented with Mylar bags, but did vacuum seal a few blends to see how that works. Since I smoke aros most of the time they seem to be holding up well and fresh in the jars so far.

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
I don't smoke too many aromatics but a few days ago I popped a late 80's production square tin of Dunhill Ready Rubbed (lightly aromatic cavendish). The tin was still airtight, the contents were still on the verge of being too moist, and even after 30 years it tasted almost exactly like I remembered. I've opened Rattray and McClelland aromatics that were 10+ years old and had similar results. I think as long as you keep it sealed and away from oxygen you have a good chance to being able to keep them for decades, they probably won't improve but I don't think they really degrade very much either. I think the knock on aromatics and storage is mostly due to so many of them being bulk blends that people store in ziplocks so the topping dissipates, or because so many aromatics use a burley base which doesn't improve with aging so why bother. But if I were an aromatic smoker and prepping for the tobaccopocalypse then I wouldn't hesitate to invest in a gross or two of mason jars and as many lbs of my favorite aromatic as it took to fill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.