PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just took delivery of a Huck Finn cob courtesy Smokingpipes. I used Super saver international shipping, and the package was well packed and secure.

How durable is a cob? How porous is the bowl? The conventional wisdom is that briar, being dried, aged, and much harder makes for a better pipe. But the cob guys love their cobs right?

In the interest of science, I will be exposing this unsmoked brand new cob to the elements for roughly 6 months. It will be exposed to the beating sun, pounding rain, blowing wind, freezing temperatures, and snow. It will be untouched, and probably unphotographed, until middle of January or so.

I will take weights and measurements before and of course after to see if there are any changes. I also have a 'control' cob for side by side comparisons.

Without further adieu, the pipe:

P_20210626_141351.jpgP_20210626_141400.jpgP_20210626_141409.jpgP_20210626_141420.jpg

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Just took delivery of a Huck Finn cob courtesy Smokingpipes. I used Super saver international shipping, and the package was well packed and secure.

How durable is a cob? How porous is the bowl? The conventional wisdom is that briar, being dried, aged, and much harder makes for a better pipe. But the cob guys love their cobs right?

In the interest of science, I will be exposing this unsmoked brand new cob to the elements for roughly 6 months. It will be exposed to the beating sun, pounding rain, blowing wind, freezing temperatures, and snow. It will be untouched, and probably unphotographed, until middle of January or so.

I will take weights and measurements before and of course after to see if there are any changes. I also have a 'control' cob for side by side comparisons.

Without further adieu, the pipe:

View attachment 86141View attachment 86142View attachment 86143View attachment 86144
I for one, feel that these NEVER get old (I mean the experiments)??

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't let the squirrels, raccoons, or crows eat it. It could be tricky to keep it fully exposed and still safe from the critters. However, this is an interesting experiment. My inadvertent experiment of smoking MM cobs very gently but over years, including the occasional dropping incident and some rim darkening, has shown MM cobs to be highly durable. Some have been dragged around on my travels too. They do not get shelf worn, and they do not lose their positive smoking characteristics. Some don't like them, but for those who do, they are sturdy soldiers.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Another fine Mike Thompson experiment.

Where are you going to leave it sit? Picnic table? Steps? Hanging from a tree?

Thanks Scott, It will probably go on my roof somewhere

Don't let the squirrels, raccoons, or crows eat it. It could be tricky to keep it fully exposed and still safe from the critters. However, this is an interesting experiment.

I didn't think of an animal eating it. Well hopefully they can get food somewhere else and leave this dried out cob alone.

But what is the hypothesis you’re testing?

Just curious to see how it will hold up. I predict it will disintegrate before too long, and I will be left with a stem.

But he’s our resident pipe scientitian!

The honour is to serve.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Without an a priori hypothesis or predetermined criteria for assessing change this is more of an exploratory study.
I’m pretty sure we’re going to see some P-hacking or HARKing here. This paper is never going to pass peer review in any serious journal.

If, however, I get a modest publication fee, I’ll publish it in my next issue of the Journal of Pipe Anatomy.