PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
First of all I 98% smoke pipe and only occasionally cigars which I buy just in small number for immediate use.

I am thinking now to buy 1 or 2 boxes of nice cigars with the plan of aging some of them for 2 or 3 years. I am very well aware the way to go should be with an humidor but I don't like the idea of humidor mantainance for whatever easy it could be. So I am wondering if a mylar bag as used for pipe tobacco (with maybe a boveda pack inside) could be an acceptable alternative for long term cigar storage. Again I am very well aware and no need to reinstate the gold standard is the humidor, just looking if mylar could be acceptable alternative or definitely a no go.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It would probably hold humidity acceptably enough but without temperature control I'd be very worried about mold.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Mylar bags would work great for your cigars if you like mold. Humidors are not air tight nor are they meant to be air tight. Cigars aren't pipe tobacco. If the cigars you put into the mylar bag were dry enough, might not be a problem with mold. But I certainly wouldn't put anything in there with the cigars such as a humidification device. Might work, might not. I don't get the humidor maintenance. Get one for $100, season it correctly with distilled water, get one of the jar with the beads, check it once per month and add a bit of distilled and that's it. I've done it this way for over 20 years through probably over 20,000 cigars and it has worked fine.

Reactions: rmpeeps

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mylar bags would work great for your cigars if you like mold. Humidors are not air tight nor are they meant to be air tight. Cigars aren't pipe tobacco. If the cigars you put into the mylar bag were dry enough, might not be a problem with mold. But I certainly wouldn't put anything in there with the cigars such as a humidification device. Might work, might not. I don't get the humidor maintenance. Get one for $100, season it correctly with distilled water, get one of the jar with the beads, check it once per month and add a bit of distilled and that's it. I've done it this way for over 20 years through probably over 20,000 cigars and it has worked fine.
A cedar humidor also had antibacterial properties. Wouldn't want to mess with tradition there.

Reactions: BROBS and rmpeeps

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[Mylar bags would work great for your cigars if you like mold. Humidors are not air tight nor are they meant to be air tight. Cigars aren't pipe tobacco. If the cigars you put into the mylar bag were dry enough, might not be a problem with mold. But I certainly wouldn't put anything in there with the cigars such as a humidification device. Might work, might not.]

OK I got and understood why no humidification device in the mylar bag. What about just only mylar with no humidification device with or without vacuum sealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.