PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2015
Being relatively new to pipe puffing, I have now tried around 10 different mixes - mostly aromatics. The only one that I would say I really love is Dunhill London Mixture. I think it's the slightly peppery / peaty taste that I like. Can any more experienced smokers give me an idea of other mixes that are similar so I can expand my horizons?
Based in the UK, so unfortunately not all of the American blends are readily available here :(
Thanks!

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hi Beardedcavalier, First welcome to the Forum--lots of friendly and helpful people here to assist you in your journey.
As a new piper I think it's good that you have moved on from aromatics to English mixtures (such as London Mix). I also started in aromatics but I really didn't experience substantial flavor until I tried English mixtures and Viriginias/Virginia-Periques. Mind you, I still like aromatics and there are a few I'm keeping in my rotation such as Sillem's Black and Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream--both of which have great flavor and a pleasant room note.
Since you're in the UK you will be able to obtain tobacco from J. F. Germain relatively easily; I would give Plumcake a try and perhaps their version of Balkan Sobrainie. If you really like latakia give their Special Latakia Flake a go. Rich Dark Flake (a VA/Burley flake) is also highly sought after as well. I would love to get my hands on any of these blends.
Though I've never tried them, Guantley's is a UK-based online tobacco shop that has a range of house blends that get some very good reviews. Deliverance is one that appears to be a very flavorful aromatic. You can also obtain tins from various tobacco companies including Germain, Samuel Gawith and Gawith and Hoggarth, and GL Pease.
Of course, you can always give Condor and St. Bruno's a try as well!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
First of all, welcome to the forums.

Secondly, you're off and running. You will now begin to sample the flavors of many many blends of delightful leaf.

I would suggest that you revisit some of those initial trials after you've developed your technique and pallet.

You might be surprised to find the flavor and enjoyment you missed the first time through.

If you have enjoyed a Dunhill blend, I'd say try more of them.

Which are the kinds of tobacco you've tried? Names and addresses please.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Gauntleys also stock g l pease blends well worth it if you can take the pain of cost.

owen

sorry pipefish already said that. It works out almost £25 delivered.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Any of the Dunhill blends are pretty good. I have come to realize that we are spoiled in the US for variety and relative affordability of pipe tobacco. The common OTC blends from the UK are always craved, particularly by us ex-pats marooned down here in 'the colonies' as well as a few of the 'Cousins' who have tasted the stuff when it was freely available. Somewhere he I posted an article I think from the Independent newspaper that lamented the passing of some very solid English blends that were certainly freely available as late as 1990. My advice is give everything a go and see what you takes your fancy or track down a UK forum member and pick his brains! Good luck!

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Welcome to your new addiction! I have access to the American side for tobacco. PM me if you want some. I have some on hand I can send you. I am in Germany.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Welcome to your new addiction! I have access to the American side for tobacco. PM me if you want some. I have some on hand I can send you. I am in Germany.

Jan 31, 2015
Thanks for all your replies. Some great advice there, and I've added a few to my shopping list for next time.
The ones I have tried so far are:
Kendal American Delite - at first I could taste nothing, but this one has really grown on me. My second fav after London Mix.

Peterson's Sweet Kilarney - didn't like the first bowl, very sweet, but quite enjoyed a bowl this morning.

Savenilli Aroma - Quite liked this one.
The ones below all get rave reviews online, but to be honest I can't distinguish much between them:

MacBaren 7 Seas Cherry

MacBaren Vanilla Cream

Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice
The ones I definitely wasn't so keen on:

St Bruno (popular UK tobacco - but to be honest it didn't do it for me).

Sam Gawith Christmas 2014 (just didn't get any Christmassy taste)!
I expect in time some of these will grow on me. Like many newbies, I have opted mostly for aromatics, but my clear preference for the Dunhill London Mix above the others may indicate that I quite like something a little more robust. Given that, I have ordered some sample packs of various Dunhills, which should arrive on Tuesday: De Luxe Navy Rolls, Early Morning Pipe, Elizabethan Mixture, 965,Nightcap, Royal Yacht.
Not sure which to try first or what to expect! I'll let you know how I get on.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hello beardedcavalier,

I too really like Dunhill London Mixture. Do you get the Hearth and Home tobaccos in the U.K.? If so, check out their BlackHouse blend. I think if you like LM you will like BH.

If you are wanting to try a U.S. blend that is not available over there, I bet you could arrange a trade deal with someone here for some Condor or St. Bruno, both of which are not available in the U.S. Just a thought. Good luck, welcome, and cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.