PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Hey Kevin, I finally noticed why this happens to me when I log into the site - but maybe it needs to be looked into further for a quick and easy fix.
When I type www.pipesmagazine.com and log in, it asks me to log in again after I'm done. I noticed in the address bar it is pipesmagazine.com sans the www prefix. So, when I visit the site, I simply forgo the prefix.
However, maybe other users are experiencing the same thing. Perhaps there should be a different default loading page dependent on the address being used, e.g. if the user types in www.pipesmagazine.com and logs in, the redirect after logging in should be www.pipesmagazine.com and not pipesmagazine.com - and vice versa.
Thanks for keeping this site awesome.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i just have it in favorites and stay loged in when i close. that way i go right to it.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
^ I would - but I prefer to have all of my preferences cleared out every time I close my browsers :)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
onizuka - thanks for bringing this to my attention. It is more important than you may realize.
Short answer: I'm working on it.
** Stop reading here if techy website stuff is boring or of no interest **
This is actually a big problem that is quite frustrating.
The 'www' version of the url should automatically redirect, stripping out the 'www'.
It is bad search engine optimization to have both versions running. You need to have one or the other. (It's a duplicate content issue that can throw your site into the supplemental listings resulting in decreased rankings and traffic.)
Everything is set up on this site to work without 'www', as it is really a moot point in this day and age. (Ironically, Bob and I were talking about this 12 hours ago.)
Everything was working fine until we installed programming to speed up the site.
The site was becoming content heavy and our traffic has more than doubled so the site was running slow.
The caching functionality (to speed up the site) is conflicting with the url re-write functionality, but not to the point where things were screwed up enough so I would notice.
That is, until you brought it to my attention.
So, what you thought was a minor inconvenience is a big problem.
I've been reading advice in different forums and nobody agrees with anybody and none of the solutions have worked yet after messing with this for over an hour.
It looks like a big portion of my Wednesday is getting shot to hell wearing my IT hat instead of my video production and marketing hats, which are way more fun. :(

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I assume it's a possibility that it's just a piece of code - perhaps logging in should send out two tokens instead of just one per URL? Is that even a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.