PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Hello there,

I’ve been smoking through a 14oz tube of lane’s ready rubbed and noticing some uncomfortable mouth feel after I’m done with the pipe.

It’s not that typical nipping tongue bite while smoking but more of an after smoke thing. It’s perfectly fine while smoking.

It’s like a minor burn or irritation that doesn’t last long, not that kind that keeps you from smoking for the next 3 days.

I’ve tried air drying it, sun drying, drying with lamp, packing loose, tight, in a briar and cobs.

Smoking veeeery slow and keeping the pipe as cool as possible.

It doesn’t happen with any other OTCs like PA, CH and even a few aros I have.

I’m not a huge OTC or aro guy but I’ve been enjoying the mildness of LLRR. I’m not sensitive to bite and smoke practically every blend out there without any issue.

Anyone have experienced something similar with that specific blend?

I tried again this morning, with a “fresh” mouth, and here I am again with that after smoke burning sensation.

Smoking some c&d epiphany now and trying to understand what the hell is going on. Weirdest thing is that smoking something else seems to help with that burning sensation.

Any inputs?

thanks.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
If you can’t get it to work, switch to Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match. It’s fantastic, and may have a composition more to your mouth’s liking.
That would be one solution I guess. As for the recently opened 14oz can ?‍♂️

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Sounds like a chemical irritation to something in the blend.
That’s what comes to mind. It’s not heat, it feels like something from the topping or PG… I really don’t know.

I was wondering if I could find anyone with a similar reaction…

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
my guess is mild burn. Which is one of the reasons I don't like certain otc blends. I think it's from too much P.G. but never smoked that one or looked up what's in it. I find no matter how I smoke blends with too high a percent of that humectant lightly burns me even if I go slow. Feels like a mild steam burn. And blends with too high a percentage also have a moist smoke feel if that makes sense.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
my guess is mild burn. Which is one of the reasons I don't like certain otc blends. I think it's from too much P.G. but never smoked that one or looked up what's in it. I find no matter how I smoke blends with too high a percent of that humectant lightly burns me even if I go slow. Feels like a mild steam burn. And blends with too high a percentage also have a moist smoke feel if that makes sense.
That’s exactly it. A mild burn.

I thought about excess PG, but with the excessive drying time, almost bone dry, I’d imagined that it would evaporate. Clearly that didn’t happen.

?‍♂️

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
That’s exactly it. A mild burn.

I thought about excess PG, but with the excessive drying time, almost bone dry, I’d imagined that it would evaporate. Clearly that didn’t happen.

?‍♂️
I've noticed that at a certain percentage it will leave no noticable effect if dried, over that I can still taste it even if I can grind the tobacco into a fine powder between my thumb and pointer finger. Might be something else but I imagine it leaves some residue even if the leaf is dried.

Reactions: Alex.Jr

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I've noticed that at a certain percentage it will leave no noticable effect if dried, over that I can still taste it even if I can grind the tobacco into a fine powder between my thumb and pointer finger. Might be something else but I imagine it leaves some residue even if the leaf is dried.
Agreed. God knows I’ve dried that thing.

I’ve even left the tub opened for the last couple of days.

It’s so weird since It’s hard to find reviews or people complaining of bite or burn with it. It’s usually known as a mild all day smoke.

Even wet aromatics didn’t have that effect on me.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Agreed. God knows I’ve dried that thing.

I’ve even left the tub opened for the last couple of days.

It’s so weird since It’s hard to find reviews or people complaining of bite or burn with it. It’s usually known as a mild all day smoke.

Even wet aromatics didn’t have that effect on me.
you never know what will or won't agree with you until you find out for sure.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
you never know what will or won't agree with you until you find out for sure.
Smoking some butternut burley mixed with dark birds eye in a cob right now. Smooooooth…

Guess I’ll have to find some use to that 14oz…

Or smoke it once in a week only to try keep the irritation at minimal.

Maybe I’ll finish the tub by 2030 ?

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Smoking some butternut burley mixed with dark birds eye in a cob right now. Smooooooth…

Guess I’ll have to find some use to that 14oz…

Or smoke it once in a week only to try keep the irritation at minimal.

Maybe I’ll finish the tub by 2030 ?
and then who knows why some blends will get me like this at times and not others. One of my favorites is Dark Twist and most of the time it agrees with me just fine, but other times it gets me like thee LLRR is getting you now. Might be what I ate or drank or some other hard to pin down factor, maybe even environmental factors. Part of the fun of pipes is there will always be a small but significant mystery through out the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.