PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You'll have to figure out the prosperity part yourself, but it is my contention that living long (as long as you can manage) is useful because it takes about forty years to figure out what happened in the first thirty years, even if you paid close attention. Longer if not. This is a philosophical question, or a psychological question, or perhaps a gerontological question. It occurs to me that I can figure out things about my life and life at large that once mystified me, even as events in the present may mystify me. Agree, disagree, or elaborate as you will.

As best I can figure, I had to develop a sense of humor to cope with the condition of being surrounded by people who don't... ummm... think as deeply about things as I do. I've always been rather mystified that people seem to miss the obvious, or don't want to acknowledge the obvious around them. But, as far as its effect on me, I've just had to learn to laugh. Other than all of that, I am quite content with the lot I've drawn. I guess I'm ready to die... right?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, humor plays a critical role in becoming human, related I think to understanding another point of view than your own. I think my notion in the original post relates as much to understanding -- people, situations, the role of history in individual lives. When you look back, you remember those years, but you also understand them differently, if not completely. That's what interests me here. Your idea of your situation and yourself changes, somewhat, sometimes a lot. Why cosmic, you're just getting warmed up! L'Amour, the writer of westerns, had a great quote, something to the effect of, one day you will feeling everything is over ... that will be the beginning.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Being on my own since age thirteen and outliving my first wife at age 20 added a few years to my life and forced understanding on me early. Life and the world change too much to fully keep up with and people tend to go through a change of perception and interests every decade or so, so flowing with the changes is a feat into itself. Mid sixties is more than I hope for but also tends to be the familial expiration point.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'm now 30.. I never considered what my life would look like at 30. I considered 21, 18, maybe my first place. I never considered settling in to Hamburger and Saturday nights at home, watching family movies.. I've learn to just roll with the flow.. It seems we don't have all that much control over what happens next. Your only choice is to roll with the flow.

And remeber "take her easy, dude".

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
I’ve recently came to pipe smoking with the passing of my dad and I certainly have a different perspective on life than before. Live for today, enjoy the simple things and try not to worry; whatever’s going to happen is going to happen ? Wish I had taken up the pipe years ago. To those that say “smoking kills” so does worrying over all the bs that society throws at us ?
Sod it your only here once.
Happy piping folks ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You'll have to figure out the prosperity part yourself, but it is my contention that living long (as long as you can manage) is useful because it takes about forty years to figure out what happened in the first thirty years, even if you paid close attention. Longer if not. This is a philosophical question, or a psychological question, or perhaps a gerontological question. It occurs to me that I can figure out things about my life and life at large that once mystified me, even as events in the present may mystify me. Agree, disagree, or elaborate as you will.
you know that in a near death experience your life might flash before your eyes. I can confirm that it really does. Weird part is how clear it is, not just in detail but in value as well. It's weird how much you can tell if something really was the right thing to do or not. You can really see that you should have smoked your pipe more and spent less time with the kids (just making a subversive joke with that last bit). So either live a long time and get the slow version or convince your self that you're about to die. Either way you'll get a crystalline clarity on your existence.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Meanwhile, I just found out that entering the Isle of Man TT actually isn't that expensive.
(I've never ridden a motorcycle before but it's never too late to start!)
actually there are a few times it's too late to start with a motorcycle. Like entering a big thing or a race without getting used to riding first. That's the one too late. Or if you're already dead you can still ride, but it's not the same really.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
My Grandfather gave me the key to living and being contended with your life. He told me this. (. YOU CAN MAKE ME EAT SHIT, JUST DONT TELL ME ITS BUTTER.)
Was he talking about margarine?

The older I get, the more I...forget what I was about to type. Let me try that again.

I think the strangest thing about being an adult is stumbling across experiences, say as a father, that remind me of my parents when they were my age and realising they were bumbling along through life just like I am. As a kid I thought they were so grown up. In some ways they were more grown up I guess, according to the times they grew up in, but certainly stunted in other ways like emotional maturity for example.

I feel like a slow learner in lots of ways, so I hope I do have a good few decades left to make the most of my collection of discoveries.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Not sure where I first heard this, but excellent advice:
” The windshield is much bigger than the rear view mirror for a reason...What is in front of you is much more important than what is behind you - but you still need to look back occasionally...”
We never actually “figure it out” by the way (imho)

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I've always thought that the sooner I can figure out what matters in my life, the better. I don't want to wait until I'm 75 to realize that I should have been living differently at 45. And the main way I've found to do that is to learn from the wisdom of my elders and take heed when they speak of what they would have done differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.