PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Last night I smoked my first bowl of 2/3 EGR 1/3 match Barking Dog in my Mark Twain cob. Previously I had smoked Half & Half in the same pipe and thus paid for my ignorance as the prior blend ghosted my cob, my most favorite cob. The taste of Luden’s Wild Cherry cough drops permeated EVERY damn puff.

I should have paid due diligence. I knew hardly anything about Half & Half. I had never tried it, didn’t even really know what was in it save some burley. The neighbor who gave me the pouch didn’t let me in on it.

I learned a real lesson here and it cost me a great pipe. Now I’ll have to get a new Mark Twain. I’m just glad I didn’t waste one of my favorite briars to H&H.

Maybe there should be a sticky on which blends will ghost a pipe?

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It will fade, just clean the shank out really well with some alcohol, maybe give the plastic stem a good rinse(If it has a stock MM propionate stem, alcohol can soften it up). Power through it with a burley blend, or something heavy in Latakia if that suits your fancy.

One interesting thing that was suggested to me by an old timer is setting your cob in a sunny window.. I thought to myself, this sounds like BS, but I respect the experience of my elders so I gave it a shot and let it sit for 2-3 days. I'll be damned if it didn't clear a deer tongue ghost out of a cob.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Maybe somebody here will have an idea on how to get a ghost out of a cob?

If nothing else, try smoking something with a little strength in the cob, and maybe the H&H ghost will burn out.

I don’t have anything strong and no straight burley blends. I’m not interested in buying any new tobacco.

Reactions: Tar Wheel

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Last night I smoked my first bowl of 2/3 EGR 1/3 match Barking Dog in my Mark Twain cob. Previously I had smoked Half & Half in the same pipe and thus paid for my ignorance as the prior blend ghosted my cob, my most favorite cob. The taste of Luden’s Wild Cherry cough drops permeated EVERY damn puff.

I should have paid due diligence. I knew hardly anything about Half & Half. I had never tried it, didn’t even really know what was in it save some burley. The neighbor who gave me the pouch didn’t let me in on it.

I learned a real lesson here and it cost me a great pipe. Now I’ll have to get a new Mark Twain. I’m just glad I didn’t waste one of my favorite briars to H&H.

Maybe there should be a sticky on which blends will ghost a pipe?
So, wait. Was it EGR or H and H that ghosted your cob?

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Fill the bowl with coarse salt (kosher works well) add grain alcohol.
Visit the pipe every now and then to top off the alcohol. After a few hours dump the salt, rinse the bowl with a little more alcohol if needed. Let dry...
Et voila, ghost has been excorcized!

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
Sounds like the OP was going for the Shelby Foote blend if memory serves. At one time Foote did cut EGR with H&H so it shouldn't be too far off? I guess my question is what was it you were aiming for? As this is a blend I love I'll happily buy the cob off you if you're truly finished with it.

Reactions: Tar Wheel

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Fill the bowl with coarse salt (kosher works well) add grain alcohol.
Visit the pipe every now and then to top off the alcohol. After a few hours dump the salt, rinse the bowl with a little more alcohol if needed. Let dry...
Et voila, ghost has been excorcized!
Won't that disolve the glue they use?

The key reason for not getting more cobs is I can't clean them with water.

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Won't that disolve the glue they use?

The key reason for not getting more cobs is I can't clean them with water.
From what I understand, Missouri Meerschaum uses a water based, non toxic glue. Typically called a PVA Glue.
In my decades of woodworking experience, only water will will dissolve it.
There's a waterproof or Type 2 PVA, but that's a different animal.

There was a post a little while back with someone complaining of a sticky gooey substance at the bottom of his cob pipe.
Hot water steam from the tobacco 'loosened up' the glue...

Status
Not open for further replies.