PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Let me tell you guys a little "car" story.

You may, or may not have heard of the Ed Weaver Car Collection. Ed Weaver was the owner of Diamond Carpet Mills in Georgia. The man was a millionaire many times over, his passion in life was cars, and lots of them!

He traveled the world seeking out fine autos, antiques and rare items. He amassed one of the largest private car collections in the world, with well over 300 autos!

He had the largest private collection of Duesenbergs in the world at 29 total. Along with others like 30+ vintage Corvettes, 30+ Jaguars, 14 Lamborghinis, over a dozen Ferraris, Porsches, Cords, Shelby Mustangs and AC Cobras, Rolls Royce, Mercedes, Packards....... you name it, the list goes on and on! Some of these cars were used in movies such as a Rolls Royce used in Pretty Woman, and a Trans Am used in Smokey And The Bandit. Some were owned by famous individuals like a Duesenberg owned by Howard Hughes, a Caddy owned by Evil Kinevel and more!
All were housed in an unassuming warehouse in north Ga.
I said all of that to say this. My cousin married Ed's daughter, and when Ed died, he and his wife inherited all of it! The cars, the business, the whole shabang!
The story of how he found out about all of this is a funny one.

He dated her for quite some time, and though he had met her family, he had no idea who he was.

His wife (at the time fiancé) had not disclosed any information on the details of her family.

One day, while on a date with his fiancé, he saw a vintage Jaguar drive by. He said to her "Man, I sure would like to have one of those!", her reply to him was "No you wouldn't". When he asked her "why not?", she replied saying "Because they ride like a log wagon!" He then asked her "How would you know?" That's when she dropped the bomb on him and replied, "Because my Dad's got 30 of them!"
Well, needless to say, he was in a state of shock and denial!

Soon after, she took him to the warehouse/garage and showed him!
For quite some time after they were married, nobody in our family knew anything about this. That is until Mr. Weaver passed away.

Afterwards, my cousin called my Dad up. They had been very close when they were growing up, so my Dad was the first to know about it. He asked Dad to come and visit him, and that he had something to show him.
I remember my Dad coming back home with a huge smile and a look of excitement on his face! He said to me "Son, get some sleep tonight, because tomorrow I'm gonna take you to see every car you've ever dreamed about!" He then told me about the whole thing, and needless to say, as a preteen boy I was as excited as one could be!
Now, I hadn't seen my cousin in several years. The last time I saw him, he was a Bradley Co. Police Officer and lived in a small trailer park.

We drove down and met him at Diamond Carpet the next day.

Now, to look at him, you'd never suspect him of having money! He was wearing a pair of worn out jeans, cowboy boots and a tank top shirt. He's a tall fellow, with a thick southern accent and long curly hair. Just your basic Good Ole Boy!
We rode to the warehouse with him in his daily driver, a beat up old Dodge Ram pickup, with dents in the side and garage door openers duct taped to the sun visor!

When we pulled up to the warehouse, he opened the bay door with the remote and we went in.

The first thing I saw was a row of Lamborghinis and Shelbys, I was instantly in a euphoric state!
We spent the whole day walking around the cars, listening to him give us the history behind some of them, sitting behind the wheel of them, taking pictures, starting them up and so forth!

It was one of the most memorable days of my life!
For some time after that, he would show up in town, pick my Dad up in such things as Ferraris, Shelbys and such. They would go driving all around Tennessee and Georgia in them, or go pick up a couple of his Harleys and go for rides in the Blue Ridge mountains.
Sadly, Diamond Carpet got into some financial trouble due to bigger competition, and they were forced to sell the company and auction off most all of the cars.

The auction was attended by such people as Jay Leno (who bought a Duesenberg Roadster), Arnold Schwartzenager, Burt Reynolds and more.

They made enough to pay off all debts an still remain well off. They then moved to the Philippines to do missionary work for several years, before coming back and resettling in Tennessee.
Since then, I've always had an interest in old cars. Getting to see some of the rarest cars in the world, all gathered in one place will do that to you!
I know this was a very long post, but I though you guys might like to read my story of a highlight in my life.

Thanks for reading,

Dan

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Don't have a list really, but I have been looking at a 2014 CVO Harley Road King. I really want a bike for long distance rides with the wife. I have always wanted one in black, but that Sherwood Green Pearl looks sharp to my eye.
Also, the Delorean from BTtF.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Dream vehicle come true. Couldn't find a way to post a shot of mine but here's her twin sister.
145826668_a169a43b25.jpg

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Im going to limit myself to cars or trucks here.
1) My dad's 1964 Impala SS (restored)
2) A 1968-1972 K5 Blazer with the new 5.2L and modern suspension and interior.
3) The new Corvette Stingray
4) Maybe an onld t bucket or rat rod
5) My (currently owned) 2014 GMC Sierra Z71

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1966 Pontiac Le Mans

1957 Chevy Bel Air - two door creme and turquoise

1938 Cadillac La Salle - chrome basket weave grille

1935 SJ LaGrande Dual Cowl Phaeton Dusenberg - yeah, Dusenbergs drive like trucks, but what style!

Bugatti Veyron

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The Rich Atwell collection closed its doors in 2011 after the city fined him for not having a handicap accessible side door . The museum had been open for more than 30 years when it all went down .Once a year at the fuel haulers convention he will open her up for private viewing .Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxTHRdgplxc

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm not really a car guy, but I'll play along.
1. My Dad's old '67 Chevelle SuperSport with American Mags on it, in the Royal Plume color.

2. Kenworth W900 model semi-truck (18 wheeler) - I've always been a fan of semi-trucks.

3. The Lamborghini with Christie Brinkley in it from the movie "Vacation". 8)

4. The Van from the show "A-Team".

5. '87 Buick Grand National

Status
Not open for further replies.