PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I recently picked up a Linkman’s Grabow author shaped pipe- propellor logo and all (which is how it caught my eye in the otherwise terrible shape it was in)! The problem is, 1) the band around the shank seems to be corroded and 2) I can’t even twist the stem off.

I’m not a fan of stingers… but I don’t want to mess up the original vibe of this beauty either. I know other Grabow fans do away with the silver/nickel piece altogether. What’s my best move here? Yes, I’d like to smoke it. No, I’m not a Grabow collector.

Right now it seems like I could tackle getting the stem dislodged but anything more than that and a good cleaning would mean me sending it off to someone. And where to? Now that Walker isn’t operating anymore!?

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Update: I got it detached using drops of Isopropyl Alcohol as suggested elsewhere on the forum.

Now, I’m weighing the pros and cons of asking a pipe repairman to replace the metal/stinger with a push/pull tenon. I know that would be historically incorrect but again I’m not really a collector. Plus, the fills are a bit too numerous. But I’m cautious and curious if changing the stem style would just be a bridge too far for this wonderful little piece of pipe smoking
history that I’d like to honor. 342649BC-AD79-4298-B581-6DA61925BEC5.jpegE53E2FAB-438D-4965-91C2-051EC215FD30.jpegE8885B79-ABBB-4518-A20D-472806608735.jpeg

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon