PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have been looking at all these various numbered limited edition 'special' tins of tobacco which I always buy a few of each to try and the rest get recycled for Secret Satan Xmas gifts. With all these crazy deeming regulations I am really surprised someone hasn't thought of bringing out a limited, numbered edition of 'cutter top' tobacco tins. The technology to do it still exists since myself, Dan and John looked into it a few years ago. I think it would be a neat idea!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@ashdigger: Maybe it could also be 'tobacco free' and completely defeat the fun since we absolutely cannot have people enjoying themselves! Getting back on track though I think it would be a neat idea and since 'the powers that be' have managed to produce a steamed plug after saying it couldn't be done, then why not a batch of retro 'cutter top' tins aimed at the re-enactor market (nudge nudge, wink, wink) as I am sure they would not only sell like crazy but in the interests of historical authenticity would not have all those ghastly warnings on them.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I have been looking at all these various numbered limited edition 'special' tins of tobacco which I always buy a few of each to try and the rest get recycled for Secret Satan Xmas gifts. With all these crazy deeming regulations I am really surprised someone hasn't thought of bringing out a limited, numbered edition of 'cutter top' tobacco tins. The technology to do it still exists since myself, Dan and John looked into it a few years ago. I think it would be a neat idea!
They'd never allow it these days, too much of a risk of cutting your hands. Health & Safety would come down on you like a ton of bricks! Lol. When did they disappear anyway? Late 60's or early 70's wasn't it?

Reactions: virginialover

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
no way. Not only would it costs a bunch. But there are probably more people that would shy away from it then it would attract. And there are plenty of other things that are working quite well at getting our money. It might happen when people stop buying out the full stock of limited runs. But really there is zero point or clear benefit to doing a cutter top. Unless the tobacco is so rare and expensive that it already will come with an inflated price point. Then maybe it will help bring more attention to it. Or some other additional factor.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's hard to beat the ziploc baggie for bulk sales for pop-up premium blends; let the customer supply the jar. Low cost and entirely sufficient.