PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke 3-5 bowls a day and always use a fresh pipe for each smoke. I have plenty of pipes and like using a variety of them. I want my tobacco to have the best chance at tasting great each and every time out. After I smoke a bowl, I clean the pipe vigorously before letting it dry for a couple of days.
I have found this works best for me.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The only time I ever smoke the same pipe more than once a day is when I am vacation. And even then, I take several with me so I can minimize reusage that day. I think one day is long enough to rest a pipe.
Like Harris, I enjoy switching from pipe to pipe with every smoke, and I do the same with tobacco as well. I feel that I get better, cleaner smokes than way. For me, a clean pipe is a must.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have no rule for how long a pipe rests. I have 12 pipes and smoke 2-3 bowls a day on average, so my pipes seldom need to be smoked more than 2-3 times a week. The pipe collection is slowly growing, so I don't think it will ever be an issue for me. I don't mind a little over-use for a limited amount of time, like a vacation.

Jan 7, 2019
One of my great grandfathers smoked the same pipe all day. He was a burley farmer. No clue what kind of pipe(s) he had. Old pictures with him and most of them he’s got a pipe in hand or mouth. I’d reckon they were cheap pipes, as his peak days were mostly during the Great Depression.
Anyway, I’ll smoke one bowl per briar and rest that pipe for a couple days.
With a cob it’s not unusual for me to smoke a couple bowls a day out of the same cob, with an hour or so rest in between. Burley forwards only though with my cobs, unless I’m testing a new (to me) blend.
I’m the only pipe smoker in the family since him (his daddy was a Confederate veteran), so I feel a kindredship with that old man. He died when I was a small boy. Like most old timers from that era, he could fix damn near anything. Had to I suppose... sorry, rambling.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
IMO, a pipe *will* sour if it is smoked exclusively. However, that is measured in days, maybe weeks. A cob will go much longer than a briar.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Duane, how long do you rest that Dunhill of yours between Bonsai prunings? Do you have any problems with ghosting - like a Glade Pine Scent thing, or any problems with moisture in the bottom of the bowl? :nana:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane, how long do you rest that Dunhill of yours between Bonsai prunings?
Right now all of my container trees are in the ground to save the roots from freezing and will be potted back up in the Spring. I only root prune every three to five years, and in the pipe I use the stem for drainage when watering. I am thinking of drilling proper drainage holes in the bottom of the bowl before I pot it up to prevent the roots from rotting in any residual standing water. Will probably also drill smaller holes for proper wiring. As for ghosting, it's just a Dunhill. My other Dunhill is a glove box pipe I smoke CB Grape in.

Jan 7, 2019
My uhh... Dunhill *ahem* is my knock around pipe. You know, I throw it in the glovebox of my truck and fish it out on occasion when I’m having a dizzy spell or am otherwise not worried about accidentally dropping it. My others brand pipes, especially my high dollar Missouri Meerschaums, get a lot of TLC.
Yep. That’s all true. *yawn* well time for bed.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
My uhh... Dunhill *ahem* is my knock around pipe. You know, I throw it in the glovebox of my truck and fish it out on occasion when I’m having a dizzy spell or am otherwise not worried about accidentally dropping it. My others brand pipes, especially my high dollar Missouri Meerschaums, get a lot of TLC.
You're actually not kidding. The Dunhills are my work pipes. My cobs, Savinellis, Weavers, Sordinis, Holms, and others are my good pipes.
20190116_003223.jpg

20180317_122707.jpg

Jan 7, 2019
Haa! I was in all seriousness joking! :)
Big dollar purchases like I’d make for a Dunhill would be spent on something like a firearm in my case. I don’t have any pipes that I’ve spent over a couple hundred bucks on... yet...

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Seriously, it all depends on you. If you want to smoke one pipe 6 times a day like the old school guys, it will work. You'll darken the crap out of that pipe and will develop a mean cake if you don't wipe it out. This is why you see those pipes that you can't put a pencil in the chamber. You do this for a year and throw it out and get a new one. Or you rotate your pipes, keep them buffed and nice, and keep them for a lifetime and have a collection. Anything works, it is a matter of what fits your style. Enjoy it, experiment, burn out a pipe, and try something else. I have pushed some pipes and not had them sour, but I will never get 6 bowls a day in.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Seriously, it all depends on you. If you want to smoke one pipe 6 times a day like the old school guys, it will work. You'll darken the crap out of that pipe and will develop a mean cake if you don't wipe it out. This is why you see those pipes that you can't put a pencil in the chamber. You do this for a year and throw it out and get a new one. Or you rotate your pipes, keep them buffed and nice, and keep them for a lifetime and have a collection.
Not quite sure how that works as I've never had to touch a reamer to my own pipes in thirty years. The thick cake it estates I would suspect has puffed up from ambient humidity. I've never had a burn out and the oldest pipes in my collection look fine. Even old crusted estate pipes can be restored and placed back into service looking better than new.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
So am I to believe that if I smoke one of my pipes say , 1 to 3 times a day that I should be giving it a day or two to rest ?

Now I do clean my pipe after every use once it has cooled down . What the concern here ?

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
So am I to believe that if I smoke one of my pipes say , 1 to 3 times a day that I should be giving it a day or two to rest ?

Now I do clean my pipe after every use once it has cooled down . What the concern here ?
Again, there are no hard rules. I smoke several bowls a day and my pipes kinda tell me when it’s time for a rest. They’ll get a little damp at the bottom of the bowl or start smoking a little hot etc. I’ll swap it out for a fresh pipe so it’s not unusual to smoke 3 to 4 different pipes in a day. Clean them all up that night and put them back in rotation. Probably get back around to them in a few days to a week or so but I have about 30 pipes now.
For someone with only a few pipes, I’m fairly certain a day or two is plenty of rest time as long as it’s cleaned up before resting.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've read some guys on here smoking multiple bowls a day from the same pipe over several days with no issues. I've read some guys smoke one bowl from one pipe and then rest of a week.
I think it depends as much on the pipe as the pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.