PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I've heard of people here smoking 6 bowls per day or so... But I don't now if they do it in one pipe.
Anyway, what do you think it's the limit of bowls (in 1 pipe), to avoid pipe-related issues?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke the same pipe twice per day for a week before rotating, but could smoke it a few more times during the day if I felt like it.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I smoke the same pipe twice per day for a week before rotating, but could smoke it a few more times during the day if I felt like it.
If you didn't rotate, would you still do this same process with the your pipe?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I like the rule of rest as many days as bowls smoked. I smoked 3 bowls in a day, I usually rest it for three days. Some people criticize this method, but I have had no issues with it. And since rules are meant to be broken, if I feel like it I may smoke the same pipe, couple, three days in a row without rest. I usually do that when traveling, since I don't like to carry more than two pipes with me. Again, no issue ...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If you didn't rotate, would you still do this same process with the your pipe?
Probably. It gets rest and cleanings between smokes and I've never had a sour pipe or a burn through.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I believe a pipe needs to dry up between smokes. I don't think smoking the pipe makes it go sour. It happens if the pipe is always damp, just as it does with clothes and everything else.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My grandfather would smoke the same pipe all day long. Sometimes he would let the pipe rest long enough to run his handkerchief through the bowl before reloading and smoking another bowl. (He smoked George Washington until the no longer made it in the mid-1970s. I don't know what he smoked between then and his death in 1979.)
Of course he only smoked crappy Yello Bole or Kaywoodies and not the finally made factory or artisan pipes of today which needs to be pampered. (that was sarcasm folks).
I don't really have a "rule" about how often to smoke the same pipe and I seldom smoke the same pipe more than once a day. Hell, I seldom smoke the same pipe once a week.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are a dozen or rules about pipe smoking whose effects are neither demonstrated in the smoke nor provable in the lab. Resting is one of them, probably put out to sell more pipes. It along with dedicating pipes appeals to the novice and earnest smoker who seeks to be cultivated but hasn't the knowledge to cultivate practices that bring real results.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Few "rules" in pipe smoking, but some very good practices....
I believe a pipe needs to dry up between smokes. I don't think smoking the pipe makes it go sour. It happens if the pipe is always damp, just as it does with clothes and everything else.
Absolutely. And the—or a—way around this is to dry the tobacco enough so that you get to the bottom of the chamber, and the heat from the last burning tobacco dries the pipe quite nicely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad smoked a pipe for fifty years, most of the day breakfast-to-bedtime including at work, only owned one pipe at a time, smoked only Granger. He's an extreme example, but makes the point. Mostly it depends on your taste sensitivity and which blends or blend, and probably only you can find your preferences and limits.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I like to rest my briar pipes after each smoke, mostly to use as many as I can, and to justify my PAD. My meershaum/cob and clay I will smoke all I want though.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
There are a lot more rules, or should I say practices now than there was when I first tried a pipe. My dad smoked a pipe and cigars and I chose to join him back in 1974. Back then I had one pipe that I smoked all day everyday if I felt like smoking. We’d buy our tobacco at the local grocery store and drug stores, which is also where we bought our pipes. My dad had two or maybe three pipes, one of which he smoke most often until the day it cracked and fell apart. Now day’s dad is gone and I have a large enough rotation that I seldom smoke the same pipe more than once a week.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've smoked a 6-7 bowls a day in the same pipe for two weeks without hurting it. On the flip side, I had a pipe that I didn't overuse in the least that one day developed a shank split - a result commonly associated with overusing a pipe. I'm guessing that it has more than a little to do with the characteristics of that particular piece of wood making up that particular pipe. So while limiting use, and resting the pipe so that it dries out, aren't strictly necessary, they may be a good practice for limiting splits or other damage.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
There are a dozen or rules about pipe smoking whose effects are neither demonstrated in the smoke nor provable in the lab. Resting is one of them, probably put out to sell more pipes. It along with dedicating pipes appeals to the novice and earnest smoker who seeks to be cultivated but hasn't the knowledge to cultivate practices that bring real results.
hear! hear! saltedplug

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Cobs: one day rest.
Briars: same.
Of course, I'm a one bowl per smoking day guy, and I don't smoke every day, so, the pipes sometimes get a few days/weeks' rest!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Tomorrow will actually make 14 days straight with this guy. Just realised that.
s-l400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.