PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I think we used to be able to use the "like" feature on individual posts in threads, even if they were closed.

Someone just linked to an older, closed thread for reference in a current thread and I was going to like the older content but the option was not there.

Que pasa?

Thanks.

1658877684632.png

Reactions: chopper and workman

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Just went back (to the mylar discussion thread) and went to the older posts that shanez linked to.

Still can't "like" any posts in the threads he linked to. not sure why.

1658880179422.png

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Maybe a wrong place to ask but why are older threads being closed anyway?
And at which point are they actually closed?

I'm not visiting this forum (or any other forum) often nowadays (though I still smoke a pipe now and then, and the cellar is still being filled with new tins&jars, and new pipes are joining the flock) so it's a bit frustrating to see that all my watched threads are now closed...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Maybe a wrong place to ask but why are older threads being closed anyway?
And at which point are they actually closed?

I'm not visiting this forum (or any other forum) often nowadays (though I still smoke a pipe now and then, and the cellar is still being filled with new tins&jars, and new pipes are joining the flock) so it's a bit frustrating to see that all my watched threads are now closed...
We close threads after they are a year old to encourage new members to make threads.

And anything we deem unnecessary, rude, etc.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
So if I want to post a reply to an old thread, I should create a new thread.
A year is too short of a term for those who're communicating slow... like Ents, for example...

Anyway, thanks for the clarification!

• Haha
Reactions: jaytex1969

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My guess is that once a thread has been closed that is it, No more comments, or likes of anything else. Done is done and the mods do not have to waste time ever looking at it again.

When I was running cigar family, once a thread was locked, I then deleted it like it never happened. I wasn't going to have people question why it got closed.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I have no issue with closing threads and understand the need to delete some closed threads.

Deleting all closed threads would result in a loss of substantial amount of research and information and I often research old threads for this information.

A food forum recently closed its doors and deleted all posts (or closed them to the public). It's sad due to the loss of various stories, information, and family recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.