PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I know this isn't asking th especific question asked, but I got a Tycoon pipe lighter (much cheaper than the ones you mentioned) a few months back and its still holding up, bar the problem with the spring in th eflint chamber not holding shorter pieces of flint strong enough for a reliable light. Its no good in the wind, but seems to function fine. I don't know about cost differences; but I would personally go for a peterson lighter if I was looking into spending more on one than I already have; but as I'm writing this I'm happy with my "old boy copy".

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
What I LOVE about corona is a tamper. I think Peterson is great lighter but I couldn't live without tamper.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Jmo but the old boys just feel right. But over the years I have had better luck takin the same budget to an antique shop and just finding a good quality old style lighter for 40-60 bucks. It's the feel that I decide with. Looks naturally contributed heavily. But I have to consciously put effort into NOT winding up with cool looking lighters....you know, the ones that really just look great, just never really felt right so they sit in their boxes. Its no exaggeration I must have half dozen fancy pants monogram lighters sitting in their respective boxes. just got another calibri from a friend from last Christmas. Wouldn't of even thought of it till reading this thread. It's great looking. Good quality. And works wonderfully...but sits in its box nonetheless.
I'm not trying to pigeon walk into over internal analysis of a simple question of tastes from the masses. But it really is a personal thing. Weight, feel, smell, aggressiveness of striker grit. Right or left handed ect. They are the differences between opening your wallet and paying, heck even a couple hundred quid is easily worth it for YOUR lighter when compared to settling on some other popular choice... usually several times. you get my drift I'm sure.
Take your time. Don't be shy to feel them. Empty your pocket so you don't potentially scratch a display but put them in your pocket. In and out. You will find some fit you better than others. Ok. My ocd is at it again and I'm blabbing.
Good luck with whatever you decide. All three mentioned are great goto choices.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
My experience with the Peterson, which I have praised on other forums, is that now, after 15 months daily use, the flint wheel/striker held by a screw and the flint tube support have both come loose and on taking off the top they are just fixed simply into very thin metal as Kasmir describes; also the lift arm has started to round at the point where the spring contacts it and the lighter is no longer gas tight.
Back to Old Boys for me (where the only problem I had was weak leaf springs - and I've now got some spares).

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
I'm sure there must be a reason for this, but I see that lighter style has changed since my former foray into pipe smoking back in the 70s.
I had a simple but comfortable and effective pipe lighter then. The shape was not box-like, as are the Peterson and Old Boy lighters that seem to be preferred types. It was a slender cylinder with a screw in tamper at the bottom, and it had a speing loaded lever along one side to start the gas. Always worked just fine for me in the several years that I used it. (Missing now, along with old pipe collection)
Why would the designers go to a big box-like design? The cylinder was much less clumsy to hold and to use,IMO.
Are there any good pipe lighters made these days that have a cylinder shape or am I asking for the Model A Ford to be brought back into production? :) I looked at an online vendor that has hundreds of styles, some of which are cylinder-shaped, but at those prices, my guess is that they won't last too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.