PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
My Birthday is rolling round and my step daughter said she'd either buy me a pipe lighter or put a certain amount towards one if I go for something outside her budget. I've narrowed the choice down to three and wondered which you guys would go for?
Choices are -
Peterson - nice styling and seems to get good reviews for a medium range price. Large gas tank as no pipe tools.
Corona Old Boy - the classic but rather expensive and I've read that the spring that holds the cap close can be a problem after a couple of years. Comes with tamper and a well known/trusted brand.
Corona Accord - a slightly more modern look and reviewers seem happy. Priced midway between the other two. Plenty of choice of finish available.
What would you get and why?
Cheers

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Tsubota makes the mechanisms for the Peterson lighters. I have a Tsubota Pearl Eddie and am very satisfied. I havent used an old boy but I hear the tampers are easily misplaced. I decided on the Tsubota after reading this article on A Passion for Pipes. Only issue I've had with the pearl is the "T" pin that the cap pivots over broke/fell out. I e-mailed Tsubota who responded within the day and they sent me two within a week.
Hope this helps!

Dec 24, 2012
I don't know anything about the last one, but I have three old boys and one Peterson. I love them all. The Peterson is, in my view, extremely well constructed and seems as solid as the Old Boys and, in fact, I find myself using it more than the old boys, not because it's "better" but because it seems to hold much more butane than an OB and is easier to fill since you don't have to screw around getting that little cap off to get at the filling mechanism like you do with an OB. Note, however, that I don't use the built in tamper in my OBs, so I don't miss it in the Peterson.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I prefer the esthetics of the Peterson myself, or for a similar price(a bit cheaper on ebay actually) the Tsubota BOLBO. I shall obtain one very soon(Hope my wife got the hint for fathers day!).

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thank you for the feedback. It looks like the Peterson is doing well so far. Especially when you consider the prices -
Peterson ~£50 - ~$76

Accord £75 - $114

Old Boy £140 - $212

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Whoa!
Where are those prices? If you order from 4noggins, I believe you can get an old boy for less than a hundred bucks. Just a thought.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I can only speak for the IM Corona Old Boy because it is the only lighter I own. I do, however, speak very highly of the IM Corona Old Boy. I picked a chrome pinstripe up last year for under $100.00 at Cupojoes I think.
img_0488-600x452.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Withnail, at those prices choosing the Peterson is a no brainer in my view. I bought my Peterson in Dublin at a similar price (it was my first pipe lighter) and it has served me well.
One thing to consider - maintenance. At least in North America, if an OB breaks, they will fix it free or very cheaply.
Not sure about the Peterson.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm heavily leaning towards the Peterson. I'm not sure where it would have to be sent if it needs repair. Hopefully Dublin as that isn't far away.
Just to show the stupid price the Old Boy retails for here -
http://www.eacarey.co.uk/shop/corona-old-boy-lighter.html

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
One thing to consider is the warranty.
Old Boy - 2 Years

Peterson - 5 Years
From what I've seen and heard, I would lean toward the Peterson.
Rich

4noggins.com

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking of picking up an Old Boy style light and have been debating with myself between the Peterson and Corona. I'll probably end up picking up one of each though in the end lol.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I'm in Ohin3's boat. I own a Corona Old Boy and as you would expect, I think its an outstanding lighter. Having said that, I have heard nothing but good reviews about the Peterson. They are both high quality lighters that will serve you well. It really comes down to which is more aesthetically pleasing to you and how much you're willing to spend.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Ive been somewhat on a lighter kick recently and picked up a Lotus, Colibri, Old Boy, Tsubota Perl Eddy, 4 zippos, and a few others. My Old Boy and Tsubota are my go to lighters now. I think they're amazing and you can't go wrong. That said, my Colibri is off the charts too.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Why not order from 4noggins and have them ship international? They carry old boys if I remember right. Also, the tsubota pearls are fabulous and have a lifetime warranty. Just something to consider.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
That's a thought Chubbster - It would probably still be around $100 cheaper including International delivery. I don't understand why the Old so over prices here. I could understand it a bit more if they were made in USA, but they come from Japan don't they?

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Exactly. And it should get to you in about a week. Also check at pipe2smoke for a tsubota pearl, he is in Canada and hips international at a good rate.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've got Corona Old Boys and the Tsubota Bolbo. I've had problems with both. My old boys leaked, and the cap column on my Tsubota has come loose and swivels!?! Really disappointed. I use Zippos and Bic lighters. Or large wooden safety matches now.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Kashmir,
You are the first problem I have heard of with that pearl. Not saying you are wrong, but I thought thy would hold up. Guess not.
I personally use a brixard and co, much like the old boy, ran me about $110, and I use it to this day. My local BM had some spots welded back on and seals replaced for free last year.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
On my Tsubota Bolbo the chrome column that hold the cap that goes over the gas port rotates 360 degrees. I took off the top to see if it could be screwed or tightened, and bam its just soldered on, and the solder seal has broken. Real cheap. It's less than a year old and I'm trying to see about sending it in for repair. Over the years I've had six Corona Old Boys. Four leaked after several years use and had to be sent back to be fixed. I'm back to Bic lighters now.
IMAG1290-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.