PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
I was watching youtube video and a guy had a really cool pipe lighter.
It lit up like a regular lighter and the flame comes out of the corner. When you tip the lighter over a bit to direct the flame into the bowl the flame grows.
Something about a tube that heats up and vaporizes some fuel to boost the flame.
Anyone know what kind of lighter this is?

Jul 15, 2011
Got a link to the video that you originally saw this in? If I watched the video I could probably tell you what kind of lighter it is.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Yes Ichbin. Very forgettable screen name but unforgettable mustache. It was one of your videos.
Beattie lighter
did some research on it. Cool engineering.
Do any of you others have one? Do they work well.. compared to other lighters. Is it reliable?
BeattieJetLighter-Ad.jpg

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
My father had one. Fascinated me as a kid.

No longer made as I understand, too bad, they were really neat!

There is a member that has a collection of the Beattie lighters, can't recall who.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Yes Ichbin. Very forgettable screen name but unforgettable mustache. It was one of your videos.
I thought it might be since I think I'm the only one that actually explained how it works. That bothered me when I went looking for more information on it. My moustache thanks you by the way. :lol:
They're a whole lot of fun! If you (anybody) finds them interesting I'd definitely say "get one" because they're just a neat little piece of simple but brilliant engineering and a great addition to the collection. Great to bring to a pipe night as well. Very eye catching and a good conversation starter.

I got mine on ebay for about $12 and it was the second I bought. It's a bit of a gamble because you may run in to the perforation for the jet worn too wide and lacking the intended power. I haven't figured out a way to fix that yet but I don't have much experience working metal so making a replacement cap that small is a bit of a challenge.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I Just bought a Nimrod from a member here for a christmas gift to me! I can't wait to use it! I just need to find some decent lighter fluid that won't ruin my backy.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ive used a Beattie Jet Lighter for several just for the "kewl factor". Really came into it own when I started with the pipe though. Drawbacks: They dont do well in wind and there is a delay for the "jet" to start, but they always grab the conversation. I own two. What I like most is mine are smooth nickle plated which provides a mirror to see the bowl coals on straight pipes. On relights tend to fire it too long, and start ups are aided by the mirror finish.
I just got a Vertigo that has a tamper tool set attached. Handy item! Soft flame.
VertigoPufferLighterBlack9666p.jpg

Of course I have my Scripto Vu-Lighter collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.