SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I like the thread in which someone asked for the best lighter under $50 and Foggymountain replied “49 Bics” what a response. Actually, part of the reason I wanted to get into pipes is to use a Cartier lighter I was given as a gift, unfortunately it has an oval tank which went kaput and are impossible to replace.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I think I still have some Xikar cutters somewhere from my old cigar days, but never tried their lighters. I had a Calibri torch that the piezo went out on. After that I went to Zippos. Been using them ever since.
That is the exact reason I switched to Xikar. The Colibri lighters always looked awesome, but we're built like crap. The Xikar lighters don't last like the Duponts, but they will just keep replacing them until the end of time.

Reactions: dino and bnichols23

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
I vote zippo.

1. You can get a solid brass one and it will last forever.
2. You can have it engraved to be more personal than just any other zippo.
3. They have a pipe lighter insert.
4. You now have a family heirloom to pass on.

JMO and YMMV

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
It’s a Peterson old boy style for me. But only recently. Until then it was disposable pipe lighters which did the job admirably.
I agree the Peterson old boy style lighter is top quality at a good price.I also think that its made in Japan if Iam wrong a lighter expert on the forum will correct me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Kuboy ping lighters look good but whats the verdict.

They look very similar to the "FauxPonts"- "tribute" lighters to DuPont lighters. (which are great, well made, durable heavy, cheap).

Beyond that I don't know.

Odd wording: "Kuboy Ping Sound Lighter Gas Inflatable Cigarette Lighter for Cigarettes Refillable Grinding Wheels Fire Lighter"

Not sure what's inflatable! And the rest of the copy is lovely, too!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I usually use my zippo but because of you enablers I had to get a Kiribi. Came in the mail today. It is the short one, like me.
IMG_0346.JPG

Reactions: jpmcwjr

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I used Vesta matches and a Xikar Scribe lighter 596bu.jpg
Then I started to use Hempwick with a Flickwick
flickwick.jpg

And now I use nearly always the Flickwick. The big advantage I see with the hempwick is that it is the softer flame available, I can control the flame much better both at lighting up and on relight and when using the 2mm hempwick it is the most wind resistant of the soft flames. It could be said you have to do double work to light first the wick but it is a snap with flickwick which also makes very easy to advance/retract the wick. For me it is the winner. Cosmetically might not be the best but functionality it is the best.