PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I'm thinking I'll go with the tried and true Corona but damn those Peterson's are sexy. What you guys think?
http://www.4noggins.com/lighters.aspx

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've wondered that myself. I saw when Peterson started their Old Boy style last year but I haven't heard anything on how they perform. If they're as reliable as a Corona or not.

ghelp

Lurker
Jan 15, 2013
I went with a Corona after many tries with other brands.

Ya can;t go wrong with a Corona.
:)

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
The decision for me is an easy one. It comes down to two things. Price as always has to be in line with quality. The second is repair. All pipe lighter I have used save the throw away BICs require maintanance at some point so who charges the most to get it repaired? What is the warranty. IM Corona Old Boys can be repaired for $9.00 and for a $150 dollar investment that's not bad. Ask yourself if it breaks where do I have to send it. If it's going to Ireland you will be using your bic for some time before you get your fancy lighter back. I have learned the hard way that a fancy lighter is an expensive paper weight if you can't fix it. That said I love my old boy. Course mine cost me nothing since it was a gift.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Maybe this will help:
Peterson lighters come with a 5 year warranty covering manufacturers defects. Old Boy's have a 2 year warranty. If any warranty work is needed, a pre-paid shipping label will be sent to you and the lighter is shipped to California for repair. Upon completion, it's shipped back to you. No cost whatsoever to the customer. For repairs after the expiration of the warranty, you can send to CA and the cost of repairs and shipping is on you.
Old Boy = 2year warranty

Peterson = 5 year warranty
Capice??
Rich Gottlieb

4noggins.com

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I picked up an Old Boy (I have a Tsubota Pearl EDDIE too, which I love). I am having a problem filling it up. It seems like either the nozzle is too small or too big on my butane. I have Xikar and Colobri but when I insert it, I get a lot of spray. For sure the problem is how I am doing this but I dont have the problem with any other lighter.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My Old Boy is the best pipe lighter I have owned and it takes a beating. I don't know who makes Peterson and I don't know anyone who owns one. I know tons of guys who love their Old Boy's. Whatever you do, never buy a Lotus or Vector pipe lighter, both suck in my opinion.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Well there you go Rich makes the decision easier. Now it's just a question of pricing. I know that IM Corona have made improvements to the newer pipe lighters. Those improvements however had added some weight. If you decide to go with the Peterson's let us know what you think!

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
well even though I like the looks of the Peterson better and the warranty sounds good I had to go with the Old Boy. sorry to say I wont be able to review the Pete flame.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
You won't be sorry I really like mine. Even after the kids took it apart at Christmas to figure out how it worked and couldn't put it back together.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Whoa Roth way to rain on my parade! :). just kidding. obviously that is true of many things including expemsive pipes that smoke much the same way as $35 basket pipes will. They way I see it is when I use a single tool so often and for a thing I enjoy so much, why not do it with something that i enjoy the look and feel of. Pipe smoking is a truely indulgent part of my day and whats $110 bucks in the grand scheme of my favorite activity. plus i hate striking bics.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I have a Zippo and wouldn't be without one. However, I'm with olewaylon on this one. In addition to the Zippo, which is the only thing worth having when outside, I have a Xikar Resource and I will probably buy an Old Boy one day just because I like the look and feel of them. Variety is good in all things (except perhaps for wives). I guess I'm getting a case of LAD!

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Roth, you got me there. zippos are pretty great and I do own one for outside of my den. Whats more, they are much like the McDonald's dollar menu. I don't know how they have been able to keep the prices so low for all of these years.
Radio, there is nothing wrong with a LAD its the WAD you gotta look out for....haha

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
My Old Boy is the best pipe lighter I have owned and it takes a beating.
I couldn't agree with this more. I was hesitant at first to drop $100+ on a lighter, but I'm glad I did. I'm not a match guy so the difference to me in using the Old Boy vs a Bic or a Zippo was like night and day. It's one of those things where, once you get one, you wonder how you ever lived without it.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I got a butane fueled nimrod style insert for my zippo for $12. I get to have all the coolness of a nimrod commander without the lighter fluid taste.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
haja, If you're referring to the Peterson Zippo, I'd be rather surprised that it's "junk". Zippo makes some of the most reliable lighters if they are maintained properly. I'm referring to the Zippos with the pipe lighter inserts, not the regular Zippo, of which I have no frame of reference. If your Peterson lighter is, in fact, a Zippo from Pennsylvania, I urge you to send it to the Zippo factory to be repaired as it has a lifetime warranty, if I recall correctly.
-Jason

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My Peterson is well into its second year with nary a stumble. My only caveat is, use quality butane and soft flints. I recommend this for any lighter. Except of course Zippo, they seem to be built for the harder, cheaper flints.

Status
Not open for further replies.