PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
I think most will agree that when lighting your pipe with a old fashioned wood kitchen match (outside in the wind) is not an option, the second best is a Butane Lighter with a "Soft" flame.

A few months ago, I picked up this Butane TORCH lighter for use outside on Amazon for $11.

It adjust from Welding down to a Pin Size Jet and I can just briefly "Wave" it over the tobacco, which lights immediately while not coming near the rim of the bowl.

And I have tested it in a 35 MPH WIND!

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_154358389.jpg
    IMG_20201213_154358389.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 12

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Seems a lot like shooting a rabbit with a .50 cal.

And, we know this HOW? nnnn

That's an interesting looking lighter.

On one hand, I say, if it works for you, go with it.

On the other hand, the common and collective wisdom here advises against it. One day, sooner or later, you will get distracted and chicken fry your pipe rim.

If it's a $10 beater pipe, you may not care. But I'd shy away from that set up for any pipe that had value or sentimental importance as a precaution.

Welcome to the forum.

1607895746519.png

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I would warn that in winds your pipe will glow like an old forge. Burn out will happen before you know it. Your 45 min smoke will often last 5 min.s. I would only try this with a cobb.
You hate cobs as much as me?

A torch might work, but much care should be given and any pipe used must be considered “disposable”

That’s my two cents.

Your mileage may vary, but I’ve had great luck with Zippos.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ve used a pipe insert in my zippo but man coupd I taste the fluid. When the flint went, I put the standard zippo insert back and whattaya know? I like that better. I don’t draw in the fluid. Just learn to angle the pipe a bit.

Great in the wind, Zippos.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I use what's in my pocket, matches, Bic, Zippo, whatever, shielding the bowl and flame from the wind with my shoulders and back. I turn my back to the wind and light my pipe. It's a practice I've followed for years as I spend the majority of my time outside, often in the wind. I suppose at first one needs to think it through before lighting, it's second nature to me, like not spitting in the wind.

I have a with the pipe chimney but, I prefer my old one without it. I let the flame burn as recommended and never taste the fluid.

Reactions: jvnshr

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Sometimes, you just gotta go with what works....

5a7a2f7de559f01d008b49d3

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I would warn that in winds your pipe will glow like an old forge. Burn out will happen before you know it. Your 45 min smoke will often last 5 min.s. I would only try this with a cobb.
I guess I've never considered the burn out due to wind. I'm an idiot but now I'm disappointed that that never occurred to me. I don’t smoke in windy conditions though.

Reactions: edger and jvnshr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think most will agree that when lighting your pipe with a old fashioned wood kitchen match (outside in the wind) is not an option, the second best is a Butane Lighter with a "Soft" flame.

A few months ago, I picked up this Butane TORCH lighter for use outside on Amazon for $11.

It adjust from Welding down to a Pin Size Jet and I can just briefly "Wave" it over the tobacco, which lights immediately while not coming near the rim of the bowl.

And I have tested it in a 35 MPH WIND!

Any thoughts?
wonderful until it's not. I know people that do that and have great success the one issue is one proper mistake can damage the pipe rim very quickly and shockingly thoroughly. And you can use matches outside. Like several people have noticed if you face the wind and cup your hand you can use matches outside (unless it's one of those winds that can't make up it's mind which direction it wants to go). So like anything else you got to ask what matters more to you and go that way.

Reactions: UncleRJ
Status
Not open for further replies.