PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Has anyone here had any experience with butane lighter inserts with a pipe modification for their Zippo? Just bought one, supposedly emits a flame like a candle, but wondering if will damage my pipe rims. Thoughts?

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I have the Thunderbird insert which I've used a couple of times now. No complaints at all. Looks good and works great! The only thing questionable is windy weather but that will blow out most gas lighters..

Jun 27, 2016
Tough to use if you use your left hand to light, and I wouldn't expect it to be as reliable as a regular Zippo/pipe over time. Depending on certain factors, even a soft-flame butane lighter can burn hotter than a Zippo petrol fluid flame, but the Thunderbird still uses the pipe-style chimney, so I would think that you should be able to focus the flame and airflow into the bowl more safely than with a 90-degree soft-flame pipe butane lighter.
Edit: Now I'm looking at them on youtube, and the Thunderbird brand insert actually seems to put out a 45-degree flame. I've always found those to be more difficult to aim than a straight 90 degree flame. So, I would say a regular 90-degree soft butane pipe lighter or a petrol pipe-zippo would probably be better for the rim than the T-Bird.

Jun 27, 2016
The Z-Plus looks like more of a 90 degree flame in this vid, might work better than a T-bird.
(Skip to 7:05 for the Z-Flame)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og5LtR3bLT8
T-Bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxMlyNNsWaM

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Should have can't with you fellows first--i prefer a 90 degree angle flame, but the amazon Tebow suggested the other insert had a softer flame.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
I went through. 3 t birds off eBay. They all broke within a week. Could of been knockoffs for all I know but I gave up. Ymmv

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Had a T-Bird and when it worked it was great after a number if months lighting was inconsistent and then it stopped altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.